cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a chance I cannot port my existing number?

DCubby
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I am looking to switch from TbayTel to Public, is it possible than I cannot port my number? I mean, is porting something all carriers must allow?

9 REPLIES 9

DCubby

Ok, understood. Now I just need to decide how badly I want to keep my current number. Thanks for the help!

@DCubby wrote:

@computergeek541, sorry I don't understand your answer...

With TBayTel my data rolls over every month, does Public Mobile roll over every 3 months?

I'm saying to ignore the talk about 90 days. It doesn't affect you and isn't appicable to the plan that you have.  The $24 plan includes 4GB every 30 days and payment of $24 (plus sales tax) is due every 30 days.

DCubby

@computergeek541, sorry I don't understand your answer...

With TBayTel my data rolls over every month, does Public Mobile roll over every 3 months?

@DCubby wrote:

Not related to my original question, but when I select the plan I'm interested in, 4GB data at 4G speed for $24.00/mo, then click 'Offer Details' footnote 4 says "Total data allotment is provided upfront for the 90-day subscription plan at time of purchase. Data usage resets every 90 days upon auto-renewal of your subscription."

Does this mean what I think, that the data allotment, 4 GB over 3 months, not 4 GB/mo?

Please ignore all of that as you're on a 30 day plan.

DCubby

Not related to my original question, but when I select the plan I'm interested in, 4GB data at 4G speed for $24.00/mo, then click 'Offer Details' footnote 4 says "Total data allotment is provided upfront for the 90-day subscription plan at time of purchase. Data usage resets every 90 days upon auto-renewal of your subscription."

Does this mean what I think, that the data allotment, 4 GB over 3 months, not 4 GB/mo?

DCubby

Ok, according to the link Hollister posted above I cannot port my number, bummer.

@DCubby wrote:

Hi. I am looking to switch from TbayTel to Public, is it possible than I cannot port my number? I mean, is porting something all carriers must allow?

Yes, it is a possiblity that your number cannot be sent to Public Mobile.  Some nnumbers in the northwestern part of Ontario cannot be ported to Public Mobile.  Tbaytel numbers from Thunder Bay or Kenora can be ported to Public Mobile, but numbers from other citties cannot be as Public Mobile/Telus Mobility does not offer phone numbers themselves for those locations (which is a number portability eligibility requirement).

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DCubby , number porting is governed by CRTC regulations.  You should be able to transfer your number from TBaytel.  There are certain exceptions to the rule but they are few and far between.  

Need Help? Let's chat.