Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is public going to get VOIP support?

da_vinci
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just looking for better call quality

11 REPLIES 11

@softech 

That"s another thing that VoIP, Wi-Fi calling, and VoLTE are all different things   in the stricktest sense, Wi-FI calling only refers to using Wi-Fi to use the same phone number.  i see that as far more likely than VoIP which a service that assigns a different phone number for use (and doesn't have to use Wi-Fi either).

Earlier, I hadn't even thought about the difference between Wi-Fi calling ane VoIP. Even cell phone companies get this wrong. Lucky has been incorrectly advertising that they offer Wi-Fi calling but it's really VoIP.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

In theory people wouldn't need to buy US roaming anymore, or even international roaming if it were a thing, as long as you're in Wi-Fi while away... 🤔

@Pawprints1986   the technology YES, but the realty NO

Telus does IP check and only alllows Wifi-calling with Canadian IP address.  (But I would assume you can still use VPN to get around it):

5. Can I use Wi-Fi Calling while travelling outside of Canada?
Wi-Fi Calling cannot be used while travelling outside of Canada.

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/business/support/article/wifi-calling-terms-and-conditions#:~:text=5.-,C....

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As far as Wi-Fi calling, I assume that wouldn't be free? In theory people wouldn't need to buy US roaming anymore, or even international roaming if it were a thing, as long as you're in Wi-Fi while away... 🤔

xtrawest
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You mean to say when Public is launching Wi-Fi calling?

@computergeek541 wrote:

As for the call quality of VoLTE and whether it would be any better, I believe that would be a mater of the CODEC used.  I have read that there are more CODECS available for LTE networks, but that being the case, LTE itself wouldn't necessarily mean higher quality audio.

There are indeed CODEC's available for VoLTE that are even higher sampling rates than the 16Khz for "HD Voice", but I've yet to hear of this being employed by any Canadian carrier.

"VOIP" even for narrowband 8Khz calls to landlines and such can still sound better because it uses the G.711 codec all the way though, which is normally compressed further by cellular codecs like AMR. It would be super-cool if with all the bandwidth available on LTE and beyond that those phone calls could just pass-thru the original codec as you would think bandwidth would be plentiful enough to carry the pitiful 64Kbps bandwidth of a conventional G.711 codec... albeit that codec can't handle packet loss well, so I guess that's why...

@Nezgar wrote:

@da_vinci wrote:

I think you meant VoLTE, not VoIP? VoLTE won't really give you any better "call quality" -- 3G already supports HD voice when calling other customers on the same network/"family" of brands: Telus Mobility, Koodo, & Public. The main advantages of VoLTE are ability to make calls on LTE network where no 3G network exists, faster call setup, and Wi-Fi calling.

It's unfortunately that there are many internet sources that incorrectly stated that VoLTE is required (or is the same as) HD voice.  It reminds me of how national news sources in Canada incorrectly told millions of people that a data connection is requried to receive official governmental emergency alerts.  As for the call quality of VoLTE and whether it would be any better, I believe that would be a mater of the CODEC used.  I have read that there are more CODECS available for LTE networks, but that being the case, LTE itself wouldn't necessarily mean higher quality audio.

@da_vinci wrote:

VoIP isn't higher quailty.  It's just a different method of connection for the phone calls. In some situations, it could add to increased voice service reliability, dependent on weak cellular network conditions.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@da_vinci wrote:

I think you meant VoLTE, not VoIP? VoLTE won't really give you any better "call quality" -- 3G already supports HD voice when calling other customers on the same network/"family" of brands: Telus Mobility, Koodo, & Public. The main advantages of VoLTE are ability to make calls on LTE network where no 3G network exists, faster call setup, and Wi-Fi calling.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@da_vinci wrote:

There was an unfounded rumor that it was coming September of last year but that didn't happen.  No one knows until PM officially announces any changes.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@da_vinci   I think you meant VoLTE.

All words pointed to last year that we should have VoLTE.  It didn't come

So, the new rumour is that we will get it this year.  Hopefully

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@da_vinci  Hope is this year 

Need Help? Let's chat.