cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my SiM card working?

jclaydon2018
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So i recently bought a sim card from public mobile, and activated it with a $20 Data only plan, just in case the card didn't work, or if i didn't like the service here *a lot of questions i have asked in the past have gone unanswered*

I was positive my phone was locked, but when i put the new SIM card in, my phone booted normally, but if i go into the settings of my phone, all the information including network, phone # etc is listed as "UNKNOWN"

i tried turning off the wifi, and doing something on facebook and it seems to work

so does that mean the SIM will work on my phone?

I don't want to switch the phone # on my current virgin mobile account and spend an extra $45 until i'm absolutely sure it will work

10 REPLIES 10

jclaydon2018

ok for the record, it definately was the fact that i had punched the wrong portion of the SIM card. After an epic struggle, i managed to fish the nano sim out of my phone, and put it back into the adapter thingy.  When i rebooted my phone, it asked me for the unlock code and it worked just fine.

thanks all

-James

jclaydon2018

Ok, on further inspection of the card i bought, there are 3 sizes the large plastic one, the plastic one where the edge is blue, and the actual electronics, that pushes out all by itself.  When i tried to insert the sim into my phone, i pushed out just the electronic part, and the 4 prongs of my samsung galaxy s4 NEO are exposed, and i cannot get the sim card out of my phone now.  I think i was supposed to use the blue part.  Does this mean that i will have to get a new SIM card?

jclaydon2018

Ok so i changed my plan to the $47 2G LTE province wide calling option.

Rebooted my phone, and now it says "NO SIM card available, emergancy calls only"

How long does a change take to register?

All Virgin Mobile Canada devices that use sim cards are comptible with Public Mobile after being unlocked.  The only factor coming into play will be the ability to set APN settings correctly for data, and sometimes needing to set voicemial retrieval number and SMSC manually.

@jclaydon2018 wrote:

Nope i was with Virgin Mobile, which is why i find it strange that it didn't ask me for a unlock code, which i got from them.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that i purcheased a  data only.   I think i'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the $45 plan with my current number and see what happens

If the phone was SIM locked, it will not connect to the foreign network . Nothing will work, not data, calling or text.

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@jclaydon2018, by what you say, it look like your activation worked.  I find it strange there's no number.  All accounts have a phone number even if for data only.  Login to the self serve to see what number was assigned.

@will13am, I find that really interresting.  Seems to be a waste of a usable phone number.

That's how wireless plans work.  I have Fido data only plans and each has a number.  It does show in sim status.

jclaydon2018

Nope i was with Virgin Mobile, which is why i find it strange that it didn't ask me for a unlock code, which i got from them.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that i purcheased a  data only.   I think i'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the $45 plan with my current number and see what happens

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@jclaydon2018, by what you say, it look like your activation worked.  I find it strange there's no number.  All accounts have a phone number even if for data only.  Login to the self serve to see what number was assigned.

@will13am, I find that really interresting.  Seems to be a waste of a usable phone number.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jclaydon2018, The fact that the phone shows phone number as unknown is probably due to the fact that you do not have a phone plan (just data).  If your phone (data) is working with WiFi turned off, then the phone is compatible for data usage.  If you wan't to check if phone is compatible for calls, you can use a site like http://willmyphonework.net.

As for your phone being locked, perhaps it is locked to Telus, which is the parent company of Public Mobile, or Kood (a sister company).

Need Help? Let's chat.