cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PM no downgrade policy inadvertently chasing customers away?

Wayworn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

By now we are all aware that PM policy doesn't allow existing customers to downgrade their plans. This policy caught many by surprise ---- (and yes somewhere in the fine print there must be a warning) . -------- However this - no downgrade policy, may be chasing away otherwise happy customers that just wanted to try out a higher priced plan and then decided that it was not for them and would just revert back to their original plan. Customers that would like to revert back to their previous lower priced plans but can't are left with no alternative but to seek  plans with other cell plan providers. Does PM not realize this blunder policy?

And for those that will say that for every customer that leaves 2 new customers come on board - I will say that it would be better that only new customers come on board and no existing customers leave.

PS- To those that may say pick a plan and stick with it -----In my case I would like to occasionally when required to have the option to select a PM Canada-USA plan and then revert back to my existing plan.

8 REPLIES 8

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I'm on the $34 Can/US plan and I'm able to downgrade. Please don't spread such misinformation. Now I'll acknowledge that I don't have a lot of options (as most lower cost plans are only available to new customers), but it proves there's no such "policy"; it's marketing, that's it.

You bring up a good point about temporarily upgrading to Canada/US plans though. That could be one of the reasons they're doing this. I'm sure the intent of those plans is the consistent revenue they receive. For those that just want a one off switch, they would prefer you use a roaming add-on.

@Wayworn wrote:

By now we are all aware that PM policy doesn't allow existing customers to downgrade their plans.

Sorry, but there is no such policy that states that plans cannot be downgraded.  Customers can still downgrade plans, but only to plans that are available to them.  I have several plans that I can downgrade to. I am aware that some customers have no lower priced plans that can be downgraded to, but to say that are no plan downgrades isn't the case across Public Mobile.

Wayworn

Withe sincere respect I will say that I think you missed my point. 

@Wayworn wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Wayworn , why do you use the word policy to describe marketing?  I am sure the marketing team considered the costs/benefits associated with this move of not offering existing customers a plan downgrade option.  Since it is not policy, things can and will change based on market conditions.  Go out and enjoy the nice weather, you are overthinking something that is pretty nominal in the grand scheme of things.  

Yes - good advice - go out and be in complete bliss listening to the birdies chirp etc - and forget all about the real world.  -In my case I would like to occasionally when required to have the option to select a PM Canada-USA plan and then revert back to my existing plan.

So all your griping is about how it negatively affects you.  Then why not buy a roaming add-on from time to time or activate a new plan just for US visits.  

Wayworn

@will13am wrote:

@Wayworn , why do you use the word policy to describe marketing?  I am sure the marketing team considered the costs/benefits associated with this move of not offering existing customers a plan downgrade option.  Since it is not policy, things can and will change based on market conditions.  Go out and enjoy the nice weather, you are overthinking something that is pretty nominal in the grand scheme of things.  

Yes - good advice - go out and be in complete bliss listening to the birdies chirp etc - and forget all about the real world.  -In my case I would like to occasionally when required to have the option to select a PM Canada-USA plan and then revert back to my existing plan. The later is the main reason I chose to switch to PM from Bell a couple of months ago . At that time there was no-where to be found a caveat about not being able to choose any plan available.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Wayworn

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Wayworn 

one option would be to get a new sim and start a new account at the price point you want. Then deactivate first account. Long way around but ...

Yes but then one would lose their existing number that most likely is tied in to other accounts such as banking, credit cards, insurance , internet etc etc - that would be a major hassle. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Wayworn 

one option would be to get a new sim and start a new account at the price point you want. Then deactivate first account. Long way around but ...

Need Help? Let's chat.