cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International texting

55googler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We have probably about the cheapest plan on PM (3 yrs now).  We call & we text, we don't use any data on the phone.  Our Account  (Subscription details) mentions "Unlimited International text", which I do not recall seeing before.  There is a solid green bar below the words (whereas the "Minutes Usage" bar shows green only up to the # we have used this 30-day period, then grey).

So, is International texting available to me?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

55googler

Thank you DennyCrane for your clear explanation.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Incoming text messages are free in the US because laws in Canada changed 10+ years ago to say carriers could not charge for incoming texts at home or aboard. Rationale was that you have very little control over incoming texts, whereas with phone calls you can choose not to answer. That's the only reason why incoming texts are included in the US.

But yes, to send texts from the US you need a *roaming* add-on, not an international text add-on. If it doesn't say "roaming", it means it's only for use *in* Canada.

You sir could be correct. I agree 100%. I guess if I changed it to automatic in the US then I'd get the text messages. 

@Chalupa_Batman- You've been suggesting to people to set their phones manually to Public. Is yours? If so, then that's why.

I'm on the $25 5GB plan and I had several texts sent to me while in the US and I didn't get any of them. It's only when I returned back past the Canadian border that the text came through. 😞 

55googler

Thanks...it would have been too good to be true with a cheap plan!

Re the US, might it have something to do with texter's proximity to the border (you been the "textee"!)?

That’s correct @55googler 

But interestingly, you can receive texts from Canada while in the US.

You just can’t send them without an add on.

😉

55googler

Aha...maybe the point is free texting FROM Canada (only) to anywhere, but I think NOT FROM outside of Canada texting back to Canada.  Would that be the meaning there?

Basic $15 plan - $2 for auto-billing & yearly loyalty discount

@55googler wrote:

We have probably about the cheapest plan on PM (3 yrs now).  We call & we text, we don't use any data on the phone.  Our Account  (Subscription details) mentions "Unlimited International text", which I do not recall seeing before.  There is a solid green bar below the words (whereas the "Minutes Usage" bar shows green only up to the # we have used this 30-day period, then grey).

So, is International texting available to me?

Texting to anywhere while you're using the servcie in Canada is included in all currently offered Public Mobile plans.  It's been quite a while since Public Mobile has sold plans that didn't include that.  Are you on a $13 plan?

55googler

That's great then!

Do you know if they always had that, as I thought not 3 years ago, but not sure 🙂

Thanks!

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I have similar plan ($15, 100 min, 250MB) and YES unlimited Domestic and International SMS and MMS is included.

Need Help? Let's chat.