cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Issues with Text Messaging

alienmario
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For the past few days, I've noticed issues related to text messages. After realizing a few messages I sent were never received, and being told I was sent messages which I never received, I ran a few tests in an attempt to determine what is happening.

• Every text message I send appears like it was sent successfully
  • Over the course of a day, some of my messages are received while others never appear at their destination. The same applies to messages sent to me from my friends. To my knowledge, there is no discernible pattern.
  • Doesn't seem to be provider specific. Messages sent to friends on Rogers, Bell and Public Mobile have all reported not receiving my messages. Messages I have not received have come from Rogers and Public Mobile users.
  • Phone (Nexus 5) has been rebooted
  • Removed and re-inserted SIM card

I thought my issue was isolated but then I realized my wife, also on Public Mobile, was experiencing the same issue: not all messages are being delivered/received but she has a different phone (ZTE Axon A1R).

Any suggestions I can try, or could this be network related?

19 REPLIES 19

Lambos

My plan is the talk and text.

Lambos

I'm also having problems with texting and receiving but with iMessage. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Emissary

I'm not aware of any missed messages, but it's hard to say for sure since you don't know what you don't know. But so far no one has mentioned sending me anything that I didn't receive. 

alienmario

I'm still experiencing issues with Android Messages. Have you missed any messages with Textra?

Emissary

@mimmo wrote:
Any reccomendations for an alternative android messaging app?

I've been using Textra and it's been pretty good so far.

alienmario

I haven't tried another app yet, but I was looking at trying the following:

Hope one of those works for you.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello Bashirreza,

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm sorry to read that you are facing an issue with your plan change, and I'd definitely assist you with this matter.

Please note that I've been able to change your price plan as requested: 30 days pass with unlimited provincial talk. Your plan will expire on November, 20th 2017 and your account balance is $86. Do not forget to reboot your device before using the services.

I hope that I was able to assist you with your plan change and thank you for your patience.

Have a great day, Bashirreza 🙂

Cheers,

Aïssata_B

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Any reccomendations for an alternative android messaging app?

bashirreza
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Emissary

There is a bug report for anyone running the Android O dev preview:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/63258152

Emissary

I hadn't even thought about that! I checked my usage logs and found records of both text messages that I failed to receive today. So it looks like it is an OS/app issue. If it hasn't been done already, someone should file an official bug report with Google.

alienmario

In an attempt to determine if Android Messages is the issue, I signed into my PM account and looked at my usage logs. It shows each incoming text message I never received, which would indicate the issue is with the app and not the network. Looks like I'll have to switch to another up until Android Messages gets patched.

Emissary

Well, I just failed to receive two text messages from someone today. So it looks like I am experiencing this issue too.

alienmario

Reading up on the Reddit thread now. I'll do some testing on my end with another app to see if I can replicate the issue. 

Emissary

Take my post and that thread with a grain of salt. I've been using Android Messages, and apart from one message that someone sent me and wasn't received, I've not experienced any issues (that I'm aware of). So there could be other things at play. But it does seem like this has been a more frequent issue for people lately.

alienmario

Yes, I use Android Messages. Thanks for passing this along; I wasn't aware of recent issues with the app. I'll try using another app to see if I still experience issue sending & receiving text messages.

Emissary

Are you using Android Messages app? I've read some complaints from others about similar issues with that app cropping up lately. There's a Reddit thread where some people attribute it to the July 18 update to the app.

alienmario

Happens in different locations (i.e. home and work).

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Does it happen in the same area?  

If it happens on all phone on same network, its obvious a network issue.

Same as the previous network sharing issue.  Need a dedicated tech to fix it.

Need Help? Let's chat.