cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls no sound, Outgoing calls unstable

AzureML
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have sent emails a few times to request the solution for this issue, but I received no proper response, so I decided to post my issue here.

I ordered a SIM card from PM, and activated successfully with 6 GB for 90 days plan with Autopay.
My phone is LG Nexus 5.  I activated this phone and tried a few calls on Sept 14, 2016, and used my chat app to exchange a few messages, and it seemed to be working fine.

but then I started noticing a few issues when I make or receive phone calls after a few hours of activation.

1) I can place a call, but in the first few seconds, the other person on the line cannot hear me, but eventually volume comes back.

2) I can get incoming calls with the ringing, but once I pick up the phone, I hear nothing from the other side.  The caller told me that he could not hear anything either.

3) Some apps became very unresponsive.  I am not going to discuss details of this unresponsiveness yet because it could be something else, but it happened to be coincidental with PM activation.

but as i mentioned in 1) and 2), the phone functionality in general is just not working.

and PM email support does not really respond or do anything to fix this issue even though they promised they would get back in 48 hours.

I experience this pretty much anywhere at my home in Waterloo, Ontario, and Toronto as well.
I am really surprised to see how PM can have so many subscribers with this type of malfunction and service/support.

My patience is running out.  If I don't see this issue getting resolved in the next few days, I have no choice but to cancel this service.  I thought Telus network works better than this.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

monikao

Hi Mary

Could you help me with the same problem - no incoming voice calls, outgoing calls sometimes unstable?  I ported my mobile number from Speakout to PM yesterday.  The process went smoothly, and after the sim was inserted in my phone I noticed that texting worked fine, but there is a problem with incoming voice calls not getting through.  Whoever calls me  just gets my voicemail automatically.  I verified it's not a hardware issue, tested the sim on my husband's identical phone (Asus Zenfone 2).  Please help.

Monika

AzureML

Hello @Mary_M and everyone else.

I just wanted to say the problem has been fixed, and thank you for your inputs and help.

but just for the sake of completeness, let me describe how it was fixed.

Fix ===> Nothing.  I did not have to do anything from my side.

Today around noon (September 18, 2016), my phone suddenly started acting normal.
Incoming and outgoing phone calls and ringings all make proper sound now.

Although the issue was mainly about no sound from during incoming and outgoing phone calls, there were some other stuff like being unable to hear the ringing sound, dial pad being unresponsive, video call not working, etc.  I just did not bring that up because, again, I did not want to give the impression to anyone that it might be the hardware problem.

As of around 12 at noon on Sept 18, 2016, everything started working.

So, I can only assume that PM must have done something from their end.

I thank you for that, but I would like to ask PM staff for a description of what happens once the activation/porting is complete.

Do you guys need to set up something that communicates with the SIM card that you gave me?

I am asking because I am planning to sign up with PM with more phones, but if I know that there is some post set-up required after the phone activation/porting, then I would not have to make unnecessary complaints and all.

Thank you for your help again,

AzureML

I just sent you a message with my phone number.

but, can we just be more realistic though?

What are the odds that it is my hardware that is aging and started dying on me on the very next day of activation with PM?

I am sure it is possible, but I think it sounds very irresponsible for anyone to tell me to just do factory reset.  Factory reset requires backup and all that stuff and moreover, what if factory reset does not fix anything?  The problem started to occur right after I joined PM.  So the chances are its the SIM card or the PM network service that's causing the poor call quality.  

I think you should investigate first before I do my factory reset.  I will do factory reset at some point, but not like this.

Thank you.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @AzureML

Thank you for reaching out to us,

These issues sound rather frustrating, but I cannot confirm if they are coming from the device or from us. If it is related to Public Mobile, it would be the SIM - however, you said that you placed your SIM is another phone and everything was working fine. 

I can take a look at your account to screen for any possible errors, but I suggest that you do reset your device, as it could also be device related.

Send me your phone number by private message and I'll take a look into it.

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you tried the sim in another Nexus 5 and it worked fine then that would indicate that service is working and it could be a intermittent problem with your phone.  Doesn't hurt to do a factory reset worth a try. 

@AzureML Email can take 24-48 hours. It is better to get help here from staff member. I will tag one of them so they can check things on their end. @Mary_M

AzureML

Well, thanks for your reply.

Yes it does sound like a hardware issue, but it isn't.

I tried it with another Nexus 5 phone, which is 2 years older than mine, and it works just fine.

Plus, the issue started happening just after I switched from Fido to PM.

I did try earbuds, but it didn't help.

but if the phone itself is the issue, I find it strange that the issue happens only with receiving calls.

To be honest, no offence to you McLaren specifically, but I get a bit ticked off when people (most of the time the service provider staffs) tell me "it's hardware issue so do factory reset" because my phone has been working fine for the last 2 years with Fido, and the issue popped up only when I switched to PM.  It is highly likely the issue is with PM.  and they do not even respond to the email.

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Its a known issue that the Nexus 5 has a microphone that will fail with age.  My Friend had this issue where he had to use headphones to talk on phone.  Try using earbuds see if it helps. 

Your problem sounds like a hardware issue.  Do you have another phone to try with the sim card?  If not try a factory reset on the phone to eliminate any software issues.  

Need Help? Let's chat.