cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the middle of switching to Koodo but my 120 day cycle ends on March 21st - what to do?

Raident
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

According to Koodo's website, I'll "still have service with Public until my Koodo package arrives", but like many other people who ordered a week ago my Koodo SIM hasn't even shipped yet.

19 REPLIES 19

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks @Luddite and @mimmo for the info.

@matbasmwrote:

@brainfreze, don't forget to include the appropriate amount of tax (I'm assuming that the system will not automatically charge tax on a one time payment).  Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Never add tax to a payment made to your account; it's added to the credit card. All amounts in your payment history, Rewards, and Available Funds are pre-tax.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@matbasm all prices on teh portal are pre tax.  when ever you add funds say $20 your cc is charged 20+tax

matbasm

@brainfreze, don't forget to include the appropriate amount of tax (I'm assuming that the system will not automatically charge tax on a one time payment).  Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

@brainfreze Try this: login to your account, click Change Plan, pick 30 day calling/texting (so you have the major services), click Change On Expiry and logout. You could pick text only for $20.

Then to be safe login again and make a one time payment so that Available Funds equal the 30 day plan cost, then turn off autopay, logout.

That should give you the protection needed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Raident

I just received the SIM card today and ported out to Koodo (as last minute as it gets...) but anyway, in case anybody else is in a similar situation, here's the reply I got after PMing the mods:

Hello Raident, 

Thank  you for reaching out to us. how do you do? 

I understand that you are switching to Koodo but your SIM Card hasn't arrived yet and your plan is soon to renew but you don't want to pay $120 just for a couple of days and then port-out. I'll do my best to answer this for you. 

Well, it's only March 17th and hopefully, you get your SIM Card before that day. However, if you are on autopay, I'd suggest that you remove the credit card from your account so you are not charged the $120 on March 21st. I'm not sure if it's possible for you to go to a Koodo store and ask them about the switch. That might help get the SIM Card sooner, but if you would like to wait it in the mail, I may suggest to change the plan like you've been told by your peers to the $20 plan while waiting for the transfer to complete. The only thing is that you will only have text messages available. 

What do you think? Can you go to a Koodo store and ask them about it? Since we are a prepaid service, I am afraid that it's not possible to extend the plan so it will expire on the due date. 

I hope that this helps but please do feel free to contact us again should you have more questions. 

Thanks again for your journey with us and have yourself a great week-end! 

Regards,

Noella 

brainfreze
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Same here. Ordered on the 8th no shipment info yet either. I'll be out of country too in a week so I don't think I'll have time to activate the sim prior to the 30 day grace period for the referral, which was the point of my decision to migrate in the first place. 

So I guess if that happens I'll just renew my fall promo plan when I return, but they've already charged me for the sim card! 😤

@computergeek541wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@computergeek541wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@Wonder_whywrote:

To be loyal to yourself is only money, you earn it spend it Cat Happy

Huh, it's not the customers fault that the online ordering system is taking more than a week to ship a SIM card.  I hope the solution is a free renewal.  

Things are even worse than a week.  I know that this is a little different because I ordered a sim card and phone, but my order has been in limbo for more than 10 days now.  I ordered on Tuesday, March 6th, and still no shipping confirmation.  To be fair, I tried to cancel the order by e-mailing them on Friday, March 9th, got no response, and then tried to cancel on Tuesday, March 13th over the phone,  only to be told that they can't cancel the order because they've already shipped it.  More than 3 full days later after that, still no shipping confirmation (for an order that Koodo claims was shipped last weekend, tonight being the start of a brand new weekend), no account activation e-mail (I don't actually want it activated any more),  no cancellation e-mail, and no refund.  So, really I have no idea what Koodo is doing with my order.  I just happen not to be as concerned about it had I not decided to stay with Public Mobile.

I think that the only reason why some people are expecting Public Mobile to extend plans for free is because both Public Mobile and Koodo are owned by Telus.  If this were Bell who was taking their time to mail a sim card and activate service, I doubt departing subscribers would expect Public Mobile to do anything for them.

This migration has overloaded the web store as bad as the 2016 fall promo crippled the Public Mobile site.  I get the suspicous feeling the web store is probably run by a skeleton crew because normal business levels are way lower volume than recent times and they were not equip to scale up quickly to meet the high demand.  The real game changer was the $100 referral credit that required online activation.  Otherwise, the load on the web store would not be as bad.  I estimated maybe 20,000 customers may be on the 2016 fall promo.  Even if 100% migrated, the average daily migration is less than 600 people spread across the country.  If most were handled through stores, it would be a piece of cake with so many retailers selling the Koodo product.  The $100 referral credit probably pushed 100% of the activations since last week to online shopping.  I suppose adding an average of 600 orders daily for a week may be beyond normal business levels.  Things at the web store are so out of control that it seems like they lost track of who ordered first.  I did an online purchase on March 7, received shipping confirmation on March 9, SIM card was activated March 10, shipped to door March 12.  So, @computergeek541, it would not surprise me if they might have forgotten about your order.  Giving you the line that it is shipped already is a platitude to keep you from canceling the order.

I do believe it was just a line.  Since the phone and sim clearly has not shipped, (a full week after they claim), there's zero reason for them not to be able to outright cancel the order.  I believe that they really have no idea what is going on.  I was told credit check was approved, order was approved, etc., and they even told me that my phone was already shipped by Canada Post but didn't give me a tracking number.  The phone model could be backordered, so why not just cancel it like I asked or just tell me that the phone was out of stock? 

The other possibility could be that they have the e-mail system only sends out shipment notification out after Canada Post does a barcode scan, and that my order got lost in the bottom of pile where people kept adding new stuff on top.  Whatever - don't really care that much at this point even if they take 6 months to ship; it's just that it would be nice to have certainty that I won't be charged anything and the official cancellation of the order would ensure that.  I would much rather have them just cancel the order as requested instead of me needing to return the shipment and wait for them to reverse everything.

I don't blame the employees.  I'm sure they're trying.  But for my order, it really sounds as of now, they couldn't be bothered to try to track things down.  Even though I don't want to shipment to ever arrive, I'm just sharing my story to show people who are migrating that there seems to be little way to predict when your Koodo order will arrive.  One day, you'll finally get a shipment notification e-mail from Koodo, but I wouldn't even try to guess when that is going to happen for your order.

Well the bow wave of migrations should have happened already leading up to March 15.  This extension is just to get the stragglers to leave.  The end is in sight.  The web store should be back to normal business soon.

@will13amwrote:

@computergeek541wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@Wonder_whywrote:

Huh, it's not the customers fault that the online ordering system is taking more than a week to ship a SIM card.  I hope the solution is a free renewal.  

Things are even worse than a week.  I know that this is a little different because I ordered a sim card and phone, but my order has been in limbo for more than 10 days now.  I ordered on Tuesday, March 6th, and still no shipping confirmation.  To be fair, I tried to cancel the order by e-mailing them on Friday, March 9th, got no response, and then tried to cancel on Tuesday, March 13th over the phone,  only to be told that they can't cancel the order because they've already shipped it.  More than 3 full days later after that, still no shipping confirmation (for an order that Koodo claims was shipped last weekend, tonight being the start of a brand new weekend), no account activation e-mail (I don't actually want it activated any more),  no cancellation e-mail, and no refund.  So, really I have no idea what Koodo is doing with my order.  I just happen not to be as concerned about it had I not decided to stay with Public Mobile.

I think that the only reason why some people are expecting Public Mobile to extend plans for free is because both Public Mobile and Koodo are owned by Telus.  If this were Bell who was taking their time to mail a sim card and activate service, I doubt departing subscribers would expect Public Mobile to do anything for them.

This migration has overloaded the web store as bad as the 2016 fall promo crippled the Public Mobile site.  I get the suspicous feeling the web store is probably run by a skeleton crew because normal business levels are way lower volume than recent times and they were not equip to scale up quickly to meet the high demand.  The real game changer was the $100 referral credit that required online activation.  Otherwise, the load on the web store would not be as bad.  I estimated maybe 20,000 customers may be on the 2016 fall promo.  Even if 100% migrated, the average daily migration is less than 600 people spread across the country.  If most were handled through stores, it would be a piece of cake with so many retailers selling the Koodo product.  The $100 referral credit probably pushed 100% of the activations since last week to online shopping.  I suppose adding an average of 600 orders daily for a week may be beyond normal business levels.  Things at the web store are so out of control that it seems like they lost track of who ordered first.  I did an online purchase on March 7, received shipping confirmation on March 9, SIM card was activated March 10, shipped to door March 12.  So, @computergeek541, it would not surprise me if they might have forgotten about your order.  Giving you the line that it is shipped already is a platitude to keep you from canceling the order.

I do believe it was just a line.  Since the phone and sim clearly has not shipped, (a full week after they claim), there's zero reason for them not to be able to outright cancel the order.  I believe that they really have no idea what is going on.  I was told credit check was approved, order was approved, etc., and they even told me that my phone was already shipped by Canada Post but didn't give me a tracking number.  The phone model could be backordered, so why not just cancel it like I asked or just tell me that the phone was out of stock? 

The other possibility could be that they have the e-mail system only sends out shipment notification out after Canada Post does a barcode scan, and that my order got lost in the bottom of pile where people kept adding new stuff on top.  Whatever - don't really care that much at this point even if they take 6 months to ship; it's just that it would be nice to have certainty that I won't be charged anything and the official cancellation of the order would ensure that.  I would much rather have them just cancel the order as requested instead of me needing to return the shipment and wait for them to reverse everything.

I don't blame the employees.  I'm sure they're trying.  But for my order, it really sounds as of now, they couldn't be bothered to try to track things down.  Even though I don't want to shipment to ever arrive, I'm just sharing my story to show people who are migrating that there seems to be little way to predict when your Koodo order will arrive.  One day, you'll finally get a shipment notification e-mail from Koodo, but I wouldn't even try to guess when that is going to happen for your order.

@computergeek541wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@Wonder_whywrote:

@will13amwrote:

@Wonder_whywrote:

@Wonder_whywrote:

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

10 day plans are no more

Unless Mods offer some sort of special migration plan (I know Koodo has some $8.95 line plan with 0 minutes and PPU data)

@Raidentwrote:

So I can change away from the 12GB/120 day plan to, say, a 10 day plan and without disqualifying myself from the promotion?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey @Raident

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

Why don't you send us a private message and we'll be able to find a solution for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Ashley

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Raidentwrote:

So I can change away from the 12GB/120 day plan to, say, a 10 day plan and without disqualifying myself from the promotion?

@Raident Public Mobile does not offer any more 10 day plans. The cheapest plan is a 30 day plan with unlimited talk for $20.

Raident

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RaidentDo a plan change to $20 ....just to keep your account active.

koimr1

The $100 credit is supposed to go towards this situation.

You should also be able to renew on a cheaper PM plan to ease the hit.

Need Help? Let's chat.