cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI check says compatible but lost or stolen

ilikekku
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have a previously Rogers locked Note 3 that has been unlocked by Rogers and am trying to see if I can use it on PM. The IMEI checker says it's compatible but somehow says it's reported as lost or stolen at the same time. Rogers SIM works fine but as soon as I put an active PM SIM that is in one of my family members handset to the Note 3, it says unregistered SIM and it doesn't seem to send any text or make a call. Both Telus and Koodo IMEI checkers online say the same while Virgin checker says yah, it's compatible. Can anyone give me help please? Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21

@ilikekku wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@ashleyb wrote:

If this is your device from Rogers then I would reach out to Rogers to confirm the phone isn't actually lost or stolen. When a phone is reported lost or stolen the policy is to only blacklist it if you actually tell them it was stolen. Normally it's so to prevent it from working on Canadian, US and some international carriers. So unless you reported it, it could just be incorrect information coming back off your IMEI

Thank you for the suggestion. I just confirmed with Rogers tech support that my Note 3 is not reported as stolen or lost on their ends.

You had already previously stated that a Rogers sim card was working fine, so it's impossible that Rogers has it on their blacklist, so really there was no reason to contact them.  Rogers would only be able to blacklist from only Rogers or all networks, but not just only Telus.

You need to be concentrating on why Telus has it blacklisted.    Since you said that you are the original owner and it's a Rogers phone, there's no reason for Telus to blacklist.  It's mistake on the Telus end.

Thanks again. I've contacted Telus but no outcome. They just told me that I need to contact Rogers. I'm stuck I guess

Telus is BSing you.  Rogers has nothing to do with, nor can they access an internal Telus blacklist.  You'll have to try again, by contacting Telus/Public Mobile.

Can I bring this to PM moderator's attention? Has anyone tried?

I haven't personally tired, but of course you can make the attempt.  You would need to make it clear that your device isn't on the National Blacklist, but is on Telus's internal blacklist.  Sicne this is a Rogers-branded device and you are the original purcahser, this shouldn't happen.

The other possibility could be that your device is on the National Blacklist, and will soon be banned for use on any network.  But that wouldn't make sense unless Telus somehow has a list that is more up-to-date than the official source (devicecheck.ca).  From what you've said previously, it really sounds like your device is owned banned by Telus brands.

ilikekku

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@ashleyb wrote:

If this is your device from Rogers then I would reach out to Rogers to confirm the phone isn't actually lost or stolen. When a phone is reported lost or stolen the policy is to only blacklist it if you actually tell them it was stolen. Normally it's so to prevent it from working on Canadian, US and some international carriers. So unless you reported it, it could just be incorrect information coming back off your IMEI

Thank you for the suggestion. I just confirmed with Rogers tech support that my Note 3 is not reported as stolen or lost on their ends.

You had already previously stated that a Rogers sim card was working fine, so it's impossible that Rogers has it on their blacklist, so really there was no reason to contact them.  Rogers would only be able to blacklist from only Rogers or all networks, but not just only Telus.

You need to be concentrating on why Telus has it blacklisted.    Since you said that you are the original owner and it's a Rogers phone, there's no reason for Telus to blacklist.  It's mistake on the Telus end.

Thanks again. I've contacted Telus but no outcome. They just told me that I need to contact Rogers. I'm stuck I guess

Telus is BSing you.  Rogers has nothing to do with, nor can they access an internal Telus blacklist.  You'll have to try again, by contacting Telus/Public Mobile.

Can I bring this to PM moderator's attention? Has anyone tried?

@ilikekku wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@ashleyb wrote:

ilikekku

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@ashleyb wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@ashleyb wrote:

ilikekku

@ashleyb wrote:

ashleyb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

ilikekku

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku

When put your family member's PM SIM card into Note 3, did your Note 3 ask for unlocked code?

If yes, do you still have the unlock code which Rogers gave you to unlock your Note 3?  You can use the same unlock code to unlock it again.

If no, your Note 3 is unlocked.  How long you had let your Notes 3 to lock onto PM signal?  Sometime, phone may take a bit longer to lock on to network signal when a new SIM is inserted.  Before it finds the network, it will say "unregistered SIM" or "No SIM".  When I start my phone after shutdown, my phone shows "No SIM" for 30 seconds before showing "Public Mobile".

Thank you. Yes, I got a code from Rogers to unlock my Note 3. For the first time I tried, it asked me the code, I punched it in and that's how I got it unlocked I believe. So, the phone is not asking me a code anymore, however it says SIM not registered.

Rogers network supports GSM(2G) in addtion to the 3G, 4G and LTE.  Telus switched from CDMA phone to SIM card phone much later than Rogers.  Telus skipped the GSM(2G) support and straight to 3G(WCDMA).  If your Note 3 is set at GSM only, it will not find the Telus/PM network

Check your Note 3 network setting and makes sure that it is not on the GSM only.

Thanks. It's not GSM only but set to automatic among GSM/HSPA/LTE.

Do I need to contact the MOD team and ask to remove my handset from the stolen/lost phone list?

That was a good idea to check the network type selection, but it couldn't have possibly been your problem.  While having it set to GSM only would have prevented you from connected to the Public Mobile network, that still would not present an error message of "unregistered sim card".  Blackberry devices used to say that if you inserted a sim card that wasn't active, but since you've stated that your sim card works in another phone, that isn't the case either.

In any event, I feel that you're not going to be able to solve this problem yourrself.  If the IMEI checker is reporting the device as lost/stolen, Public Mobile is going to be using that same database to check if the phone is going to be allowed to connect to the network.  Are you the original purchaser of this phone (not used/second hand)?

Yes, I am. Thanks!

@ilikekku wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku

When put your family member's PM SIM card into Note 3, did your Note 3 ask for unlocked code?

If yes, do you still have the unlock code which Rogers gave you to unlock your Note 3?  You can use the same unlock code to unlock it again.

If no, your Note 3 is unlocked.  How long you had let your Notes 3 to lock onto PM signal?  Sometime, phone may take a bit longer to lock on to network signal when a new SIM is inserted.  Before it finds the network, it will say "unregistered SIM" or "No SIM".  When I start my phone after shutdown, my phone shows "No SIM" for 30 seconds before showing "Public Mobile".

Thank you. Yes, I got a code from Rogers to unlock my Note 3. For the first time I tried, it asked me the code, I punched it in and that's how I got it unlocked I believe. So, the phone is not asking me a code anymore, however it says SIM not registered.

Rogers network supports GSM(2G) in addtion to the 3G, 4G and LTE.  Telus switched from CDMA phone to SIM card phone much later than Rogers.  Telus skipped the GSM(2G) support and straight to 3G(WCDMA).  If your Note 3 is set at GSM only, it will not find the Telus/PM network

Check your Note 3 network setting and makes sure that it is not on the GSM only.

Do I need to contact the MOD team and ask to remove my handset from the stolen/lost phone list?

That was a good idea to check the network type selection, but it couldn't have possibly been your problem.  While having it set to GSM only would have prevented you from connected to the Public Mobile network, that still would not present an error message of "unregistered sim card".  Blackberry devices used to say that if you inserted a sim card that wasn't active, but since you've stated that your sim card works in another phone, that isn't the case either.

In any event, I feel that you're not going to be able to solve this problem yourrself.  If the IMEI checker is reporting the device as lost/stolen, Public Mobile is going to be using that same database to check if the phone is going to be allowed to connect to the network.  Are you the original purchaser of this phone (not used/second hand)?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ilikekku wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku

Did you use PM IMEI checker to find out that your Note 3 was reported stolen/lost?

Are you the orginal owner of this Note 3?

If not, you need to get the person who reported your Note 3 was stolen/lost to get it off the list.

ilikekku

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku

ilikekku

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ilikekku wrote:

If you got a message about the sucessful unlock on the screen, your phone is arleady unlocked.  As I said earlier, sim card registration error messages don't have anything to do with unlocking.  You wouldn't even be able to get that far or be able to even try to connect the network if the phone hadn't already been unlocked.

Your sim card was either never activated properly, or it can't be used because of the device lost/stolen status.  Try your sim card in a different Public Mobile compatible phone device.  If it doesn't work there either, your sim card was never properly provisioned.  But either way, since the IMEI checking tool at Public Mobile says your phone was reported lost or stolen, you can't count on it working.  The phone is probably banned for use by Telus/Koodo/Public.  The reason it doesn't show up the national blacklist would be because it's on Telus's internal blacklist no shared with other carriers.

Thanks. The PM SIM card is working fine on the original handset one of my family members is using. I just tried it on an old unlocked phone and it's working fine. I guess the SIM itself is fine.

popping

@ilikekku wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku

@ilikekku wrote:

If you got a message about the sucessful unlock on the screen, your phone is arleady unlocked.  As I said earlier, sim card registration error messages don't have anything to do with unlocking.  You wouldn't even be able to get that far or be able to even try to connect the network if the phone hadn't already been unlocked.

Your sim card was either never activated properly, or it can't be used because of the device lost/stolen status.  Try your sim card in a different Public Mobile compatible phone device.  If it doesn't work there either, your sim card was never properly provisioned.  But either way, since the IMEI checking tool at Public Mobile says your phone was reported lost or stolen, you can't count on it working.  The phone is probably banned for use by Telus/Koodo/Public.  The reason it doesn't show up the national blacklist would be because it's on Telus's internal blacklist no shared with other carriers.

ilikekku

@popping wrote:

@ilikekku

ilikekku

@will13am wrote:

@ilikekku, I don't trust the IMEI checker for accuracy. This is the official blacklist registry checker.  If the number is not in this registry, the problem is not with the phone being blacklisted. 

https://www.devicecheck.ca/

Thanks. I tried the link and it doesn't say it's blacklisted.

@SB786 wrote:

Try checking with Rogers once again to see if it is really unlocked. You may have done this but worth a shot.

This wouldn't have anything to do with unlocking.  The fact that the IMEI checker is reporting lost/stolen is an indication of that.  In addition, when inserting a Public Mobile sim card, the phone would immediately be asking for an unlock code if it weren't already unlocked.

In addition, an unregistered sim card message isn't about a phone's unlocked status.  Unregistered sim message almost always has to do with the sim card not being activated (or cancelled).  An active sim card that isn't able to connect to the network wouldn't say "unregistered sim card", but would rather give messages such as "emergency calls only", "no service", or "cannot register with selected network" if trying to use manual network selection.

popping

@ilikekku

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ilikekku, I don't trust the IMEI checker for accuracy. This is the official blacklist registry checker.  If the number is not in this registry, the problem is not with the phone being blacklisted. 

https://www.devicecheck.ca/

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@ilikekku wrote:

Hi,

I have a previously Rogers locked Note 3 that has been unlocked by Rogers and am trying to see if I can use it on PM. The IMEI checker says it's compatible but somehow says it's reported as lost or stolen at the same time. Rogers SIM works fine but as soon as I put an active PM SIM that is in one of my family members handset to the Note 3, it says unregistered SIM and it doesn't seem to send any text or make a call. Both Telus and Koodo IMEI checkers online say the same while Virgin checker says yah, it's compatible. Can anyone give me help please? Thanks.

Agree with @SB786 unregistered sim indicates your phone is still locked. Are you able to try another network other than Rogers or PM? Don't put a lot of faith in those IMEI checkers, notoriously unreliable.

SB786
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Try checking with Rogers once again to see if it is really unlocked. You may have done this but worth a shot.

Need Help? Let's chat.