cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to change my phone number but ...

Albertan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am living in Edmonton and I would like to change my phone number, my question is could I select any 'city' area code within Alberta or I must select Edmonton area code? I personally prefer to select another city area code within the province to get a good number that's easy to remember.

My only concern is that some people may inccur extra charges if they called me from Edmonton or that only applies for people calling me from outside the province?

5 REPLIES 5

@Albertan  people calling you can incur long distance charges within the province, especially with landlines. As @gpixel  mentioned above. Stay safe.

@Albertan 

credits to gblackma

Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm. So the way to change it would be to get the  second 3 numbers associated with the city. You can change your number once per 30 day cycle from within your self service account. Stay safe!

Albertan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you mm80 for your reply.

But I wasn't referring to long distance calling from one province to another, I was referring if someone calls me within the same province but from a different city, as you said some people do not have Canada wide plan and I do not want them to pay extra charges to call me.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You can pick any available city you want, even from a different province. Other people getting charged to call you is beyond Public's control unless they're also with Public. That type of long distance is based on the plans of the people who call you.  

Someone calling you who uses another carrier might have to pay long distance even if from the same province. Some don't have province wide calling.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Albertan wrote:

Hi,

I am living in Edmonton and I would like to change my phone number, my question is could I select any 'city' area code within Alberta or I must select Edmonton area code? I personally prefer to select another city area code within the province to get a good number that's easy to remember.

My only concern is that some people may inccur extra charges if they called me from Edmonton or that only applies for people calling me from outside the province?

You can pick any available city you want, even from a different province. Other people getting charged to call you is beyond Public's control unless they're also with Public. That type of long distance is based on the plans of the people who call you.  

Someone calling you who uses another carrier might have to pay long distance even if in the same province. Some dont' have province wide calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.