cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to buy a landline number as my cell number

gingeroni
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am an existing public mobile client for years and my family is getting rid of the old landline. 

I want to swap my current number and use the old landline number as my cell number instead. 

The landline is with Fido and I’m not sure how to initiate this process. 

I know usually you have to contact the company you want to start using first, so that you can keep the number. 

but because this is a landline currently, would we need to contact Fido first?

bit of an unusual situation, so any guidance is appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@gingeroni 

You don’t know to contact Fido but the landline account must be Active so don’t cancel the service. 
You will need to purchase a new SIM and port the landline over to the new SIM. 
Login out on the PM app on your phone. Create a new account with a second email address. Activate the new SIM and port the landline number. Porting may take up to 7 days to complete.

Once the landline is ported over. Replace the old SIM with new SIM. Login to your old cell number online and disable Subscribe/AutoPay button and the account will be cancel after 90 days for nonpayment.

Yosemite_Sam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is your Fido land line hard wired or on a ZTE box using a SIM card?

HI @gingeroni 

Porting from cell phone needs a SMS approval.  With landline, there is  no formal approval steps that everyone follow, it really depends on the company

@gingeroni 

AFAIK, landline company don't do much to validate.  But you need to provide the account number (might need to provide name as well), so, best to have a statement in fron of you so you have all the info.

if you like to be certain, you can have your aunt to call Fido to confirm, afterall, it is more a matter if Fido will release the line or not

gingeroni
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes, I am an existing subscriber to Public Mobile. 

But I am not the owner of the landline number. My aunt has the number under her account with Fido. 

can I really just use my Public mobile account to start the porting process? I would think she would need to give permission to Fido to release it!

anything I’m missing here? Seems like it would be a large security concern to just let people login and self serve to that degree. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @gingeroni 

you just need to confirm if your number can be ported into PM here

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/checkSingle.do

if it does, then yes, you can do it

you said you want to swap the current number, so you are existing subscriber?  Just login My Account, go to Profile page, click Transfer Phone number and then follow the steps.  

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

@gingeroni not unusual, many using the landline number on cell now

steps is the same, just request porting on your My Account.  Provide the phone number and the Fido account number.  But it will take a bit longer, the port should be done in 3 to 7 days

Need Help? Let's chat.