Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't make or receive calls - Duh!

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

[Keywords:  Can't make calls, SMS working, Voice not working]

Just a quick warning to others.

I couldn't figure it out at first but incoming and outgoing calls would fail immediately on my PM phone.

Text messaging and data still worked like a charm. But phone gave a weird SIM read/network error every time I tried to make a call.

I seriously thought there was something wrong with the SIM or that I had mucked something up. Was considering testing in another phone and even doing a factory reset.

AND THEN I realized that it was my own fault.

I had forced the phone to a specific LTE band (using *#2263#*) to do some testing with Steve Punter's amazing LTE Widget earlier in the day and had forgotten that the phone was locked onto a specific LTE band and not falling back to HSPA, etc.

[For those who don't know voice calls on PM (and any non-VOLTE carrier) are connected using 4G HSPA (which is why the connection changes from LTE to 4G when you're on a voice call).]

Anyway,  thought I would share my stupidity here in case someone else has the same problem.

I came ridiculously close to doing a factory reset!

PHT

5 REPLIES 5

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Fair enough 🙂

hopetindall

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I think he meant 3G

Actually - on my phone (Galaxy Note 4):

LTE shows as 'LTE' (see 'LTE' in status bar)

2016-11-02-11-49-13-Screenshot.png

and

HSPA shows as '4G'. (see '4G' in status bar)

2016-11-02-11-49-26-Screenshot.png

(There is some difference of opinion globally on these labels [some places call LTE 4G - but the way I have described is actually common in Canada).

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I think he meant 3G

orangeworx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That's good to know, in case I do some tinkering of that sort hehe

I'm just not sure of your statement on switching LTE to 4G as in essence LTE = 4G... I've also never noticed a switch in that particular scenario

samgabbay

I remember having that same issue when i have the Redmi Note 3. Some phones don't support Public Mobile's LTE Bands.

Need Help? Let's chat.