cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei P20 Pro - no security updates since June 2020

Friend
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have a P20 Pro that still runs the July 1, 2020 security patch.  I read a few months ago that Huawei had released a July 2021 security patch, starting with carriers in Europe. 

https://www.huaweicentral.com/huawei-p20-global-users-gets-july-2021-security-update/

Can anyone confirm whether it's Huawei or Public Mobile that makes this security update available to my device here in Canada?  And if so, when?

6 REPLIES 6

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Triguy wrote:

There was a security update in July 2021.

https://www.rprna.com/updates/emui/huawei-p20-pro-july-2021-security-update-starts-rolling-out/

Well in that case you may have to look to rogers for the update somehow if they have it listed somewhere on their site, or if you hit up google to see if you can find a rom you can flash with it.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Friend wrote:

@softech  I bought it originally on a Rogers plan back in 2018.   I recently replaced it with something new, but still would be nice to have as a backup phone with a 2021 OS patch.  Seems like Huawei really did the bare minimum of keeping this "flagship" updated.

The standard phone support life cycle back when you bought that phone was 2 years on average, you got what you paid for, even though that sucks and it's why more manufactures have increased support timeframes these days.

@Friend 

I know for some phones, Rogers  updated the new OS with it's own stuff and push the customized version via their server. 

I am not 100% sure if you can still download it without an active account.  

If you are certain there is a new version and you don't get it, then likely you need to borrow a SIM from a Rogers  friend.  Then connect to the network for an hour or two first, then check update and see if you can pull the OS update that way.

Friend
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@softech  I bought it originally on a Rogers plan back in 2018.   I recently replaced it with something new, but still would be nice to have as a backup phone with a 2021 OS patch.  Seems like Huawei really did the bare minimum of keeping this "flagship" updated.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Friend   No, it won't be from PM.  It would be with Huawei.    did you check the OS update?  did it say any available?

I know some phones, if it is non-American variant, it won't get the update unless you go back to the same country where you got it. Some Geo-lock issue.  

Where you got your phone from?

Need Help? Let's chat.