cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable voicemail?

oldrinba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Back in 2018 when I ported my number from CHATR, my voicemail was disabled because I prefer to forward missed calls to a secondary number instead.

Yesterday, because my credit card changed, auto top up failed, and I end up with my number suspended for a couple of hours until I made the payment.

Now there is a pop-up message on my phone asking to activate voicemail. How to get rid of this?

8 REPLIES 8

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Once the notification has been cleared by completing the voicemail setup, there are two further options for preventing someone from actually leaving a message:

1. Enable the extended absence greeting, whereafter you also can disable allowing callers to leave a message. Follow the details in this post: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...
  2. Public Mobile doesn't support disabling conditional call forwarding that normally defaults to the voicemail system, but you can set them to an invalid number instead so callers either get a fast busy, or endless ring. Details here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...
    To set, dial: *004*8080000000#
    To reset to default, dial: #004#

RM4

My husband actually has a message on his public voicemail saying he will absolutely never listen to any message left... he doesn’t get voicemail. Apparently not any spam calls leave messages either... I actively check my public voicemail and I sometimes get messages in a foreign language or just threatening that I need to pay something or go to jail. I guess he’s got his number under the radar somehow, I doubt his message is causing them to not leave a message. 

@oldrinba  Just go through the setup accept all the defaults and the notification will go away.

oldrinba

Call forwarding works fine, I just called my number from another phone, and they are forwarded when reject call or phone is shut down.

I just want to get rid of that notification message that is always there asking me to call and configure voicemail. Obviously, all missed calls are now forwared to my 2nd number and not to the voicemail.

@oldrinba wrote:

Actually, I do not want people notice there is not a voicemail. I want missed calls forwarded to a second number where there is already a working voicemail. This is the way it worked until yesterday when top up failed and number was disconnected.

I checked 'call forwarding' and it looks it is configured fine, but there is always a icon on my phone asking to call 1 778 580 4001 to configure voicemail.

Did you end up topping up your Public Mobile account? You can't forward calls if the service isn't active.

oldrinba

Actually, I do not want people notice there is not a voicemail. I want missed calls forwarded to a second number where there is already a working voicemail. This is the way it worked until yesterday when top up failed and number was disconnected.

I checked 'call forwarding' and it looks it is configured fine, but there is always a icon on my phone asking to call 1 778 580 4001 to configure voicemail.

@oldrinba wrote:

Back in 2018 when I ported my number from CHATR, my voicemail was disabled because I prefer to forward missed calls to a secondary number instead.

Yesterday, because my credit card changed, auto top up failed, and I end up with my number suspended for a couple of hours until I made the payment.

Now there is a pop-up message on my phone asking to activate voicemail. How to get rid of this?

Vociemail cannot be completely disabled/removed from your account. All you can really do is have missed calls forwarded to an invalid phone number. However, if there is any error message read out out loud about the call failing, your caller will also hear that message.  You could also have unanswered calls forwarded to one of your other phone numbers (if you have one) that doesn't have vociemail/answering machine.

Another option would be to create a customized voicemail greeting asking people not to leave a message, although I suspect that might not be that successful.

Need Help? Let's chat.