cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect my hotspot

Sugi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sometimes my hotspot heading in settings is blue and says to connect to hotspot.    Then below that it says to contact Telus in order to connect to the hot spot......then an hour or so later...it all just disappears.  Kind of hard to learn how to use a service that seems to come and go on a whim....who’s whim is anybody’s guess.    So does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on........this is on an iPad Gen 6. 

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sugi wrote:

@Anonymous I have an iPad 6 with a Public Mobile SIM on the 8GB at 3G plan. I want to turn my iPad’s Hotspot on, but it will not start. My hope is that I can use my iPad’s Hotspot  to provide a wireless network that my notebook or cell phone can connect to, so that those devices can use my iPad’s cellular data plan to connect to the Internet.

Not that I'm going to be any real help with something Apple...I was just getting confused reading what all you have going on. But that's just me.

Can you use the cell data to browse the internet on that PM-SIM-equipped ipad? Before any talk of hotspots?

Sugi

@Anonymous I have an iPad 6 with a Public Mobile SIM on the 8GB at 3G plan. I want to turn my iPad’s Hotspot on, but it will not start. My hope is that I can use my iPad’s Hotspot  to provide a wireless network that my notebook or cell phone can connect to, so that those devices can use my iPad’s cellular data plan to connect to the Internet.

Sugi

@GinYVR Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. I guess I’ll just have to wait for iOS 13 and hope that resolves the issue. Or you never know, it might just start working out of the blue when the iPad settings finally switch the right carrier.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sugi wrote:

@geopublic Actually my phone service is through a different provider, and I don’t have any Data on that plan. I was hoping to be able to connect my phone and notebook to my iPad for data so I could use my Public Mobile data

Can we get some terminology straight? What device is being the hotspot?

Sugi

@geopublic Actually my phone service is through a different provider, and I don’t have any Data on that plan. I was hoping to be able to connect my phone and notebook to my iPad for data so I could use my Public Mobile data

@ChuckYeahI am not sure connecting iTunes will accomplish much. I think the problem stems with the Carrier Profile. If the iPad won't able to switch over to Public Mobile, there isn't much the OP can do.

@SugiIf you can wait and your iPad supports iOS 13 I think you can try it next week when it get released and see if it fixes the issue. Since Public Mobile is not a large revenue generator for Telus, I doubt Telus will do much. If you really want to use cellular data on your iPad.. get the Fido $15/3Gb deal is probably more convenient in situations like this.

@Sugi  As a workaround until you resolve your iPad issue turn your hotspot on your phone it should work without any issues.

@GinYVR would there be any benefit to connecting to iTunes in this case?

Sugi

@ChuckYeah Unfortunately the Hotspot won’t turn on at this time, so there’s nothing for my other devices to connect to.

@GinYVR Hmm, I changed it to Public Mobile and rebooted, but the carrier is still Telus 36.0 and Hotspot is still endlessly loading.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@SugiLook under Setting -> General -> About is the carrier profile Telus 36.0? If so that means you iPad is conected to Telus. Go under Settings -> Cellular data -> Network Selection turn off Automatic (it will take a while).. then select Public Mobile.

Reboot the iPad and see if it allows you to select hotspot option again.

Network Selection iOS 12.4 iPadNetwork Selection iOS 12.4 iPad

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Then on your other device go into wifi and connect to the iPad hotspot you enabled. It may require a PWD that should show in the iPad s personal hotspot settings.

Sugi

I have a Public Mobile SIM card. I’m on the “8GB at 3G” plan.

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Is your cellular data on in settings?

Is your hotspot enabled, right below cell data in settings?

And I think you have to turn off your wifi on the iPad so that users can use wifi to connect to your iPad.

@Sugi wrote:

Oh, sorry. I have a cellular enabled iPad and I’m trying to turn on it’s hotspot so other devices can connect to it.

@Sugi  Ok, so do you have a PM sim card in the iPad or a Telus sim card?

Setup Personal Hotspot is available under Cellular Data in my settings, but when I try to turn it on it just displays a loading symbol for a while before telling me I have to contact Telus. I did try to contact them, but as a Public Mobile customer they said they couldnt help me. 

If you are using a PM sim card in your iPad what plan are you on?

Is your cellular data on in settings?

Is your hotspot enabled, right below cell data in settings?

Sugi

Oh, sorry. I have a cellular enabled iPad and I’m trying to turn on it’s hotspot so other devices can connect to it. Setup Personal Hotspot is available under Cellular Data in my settings, but when I try to turn it on it just displays a loading symbol for a while before telling me I have to contact Telus. I did try to contact them, but as a Public Mobile customer they said they couldnt help me. 

Are you trying to connect to a Telus wifi service or connect your iPad to your PM phone? 

I'm a bit confused.

DanielleMarie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Sugi wrote:

Sometimes my hotspot heading in settings is blue and says to connect to hotspot.    Then below that it says to contact Telus in order to connect to the hot spot......then an hour or so later...it all just disappears.  Kind of hard to learn how to use a service that seems to come and go on a whim....who’s whim is anybody’s guess.    So does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on........this is on an iPad Gen 6. 

Did you register your email address with the Telus wifi hotspot? Read here for more info: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/TELUS-Public-Wi-Fi/ta-p/62773

Need Help? Let's chat.