cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check when my data ran out

Adonais
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

First and foremost. This whole way of getting support for my account is insane. When my billing period is up, I'll be going back to a carrier that has a direct customer service support line.

Secondly, my data plan of 6 gigs over three months has been used up for quite some time now but aparently my billing period is still effective until late October. I've complained about this in the past, and I'll complain about it again: there is absolutely NO WAY that I have used that much data this quickly. I use almost no social media on my account and I completely restricted my youtube usage.

Can someone please direct me to somewhere on my account in the website that will tell me exactly WHEN that 6 gigs of data was used up? When I check the add-on section of my account everything is just blank.

Public Mobile has been pure frustration for me. Sorry, but I had to vent.

6 REPLIES 6

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I recommend the data witness app for Android users.  The accuracy of the app is great.  It matches the Public Mobile data tracking to within 1% over 12 gigs of usage.  As for errant data usage, @Adonais, just because you can't account for how you used up the data, it doesn't mean you didn't use it.  All carriers have a very robust data counter.  Anything less will subject them to major repercussions with regulators and the customers.  Think supermarket scales, the kitchen scale we have at home may not agree, but rest assured we paid for the correct weight.  

TaylorJW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi there,

Just want to add that depending on what kind of phone you have you should easily be able to track your usage locally. On Android phones you should be able to set a data limit etc and get notifications if you use too much and all that good stuff. I don't have an android anymore so it's difficult for me to give you specific instructions in that regard.

If you have an iPhone: 

1. Open Settings > Cellular.

2. Data usage for the current "period" (since you last reset the counter) is displayed under "cellular data usage". You can reset this monthly if you would like to help you keep a local record of how much you're using.

3. You can disable various applications' access to cellular data here. My girlfriend for example keeps everything blocked from accessing the internet over data until she needs it, at which point she temporarily turns it on for that specific app. It helps to keep your data from being run down by stuff running in the background. 

thomasn83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi @Adonais

A friend is mine ran into an issue before where a significant portion of his data was being used up by the previews you get from social media (eg. Facebook and Twitter) these settings can be turned off so it doesn't auto play when you scroll through your feeds.

I'm not saying this will solve all your problems but it may help.

So far though, I've been tracking my data like a hawk since joining recently and both my data tracker on my phone and the data available displayed on my PM account is pretty accurate. 

Your phone should also be able to let you know which apps are eating up the most data. Might be worth looking into for a deeper dive.

Hope this helps!!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The data add-on dissapears when it is used up. Not sure if you can track the actual usage.

Best to use a 3rd party app for data tracking like my data manager 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Adonais Login to your account, look under Account Status and click View Usage.

If you decide, PM's assessment is correct and wish to stay there is a workaround to start your current plan early, or you could pick one of the new bonus data plans. Let us know.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Adonais, sorry to hear you are having issues and are not happy with PM

You will need to message a MOD for assistance and ask for a record of your data usage, click on this link Moderator Team
to send a private message .
In your message please include:
* PM account email address
* SIM card number(if available)
* PM phone number
* Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.