cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to recieve a photo through data?

fricstix
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It me takes a minute plus to recieve 1 photo. It takes me 5 minutes for someone to recieve 1 photo from me. Is there a way to receive and send photos faster?

18 REPLIES 18

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am @computergeek541 

Since the OP was asking about how long it took to send a photo from their phone and keeping the terminology simple so it was understood I would think it was obvious that I know MMS snd SMS are not the same. Since you cant send a photo as an SMS the redundancy in explaining the difference to me rather than the OP if that was even part their initial query boggles the mind.....but thanks anyways. Its been duly noted if ever needed for future reference.

@fricstix 

Yes thats perfectly normal.

Still I would think the handshakes and handoffs are much of the delay and not the movement of a tiny amount of data.  MMS maximum message size is 300 kbytes which is hardly a large amount of data.  BTW, RCS has blurred the lines between SMS and MMS.  I have been using RCS and I can send attachments, emojis, gifs, stickers...  

@will13am @computergeek541 

Since the OP was asking about how long it took to send a photo from their phone and keeping the terminology simple so it was understood I would think it was obvious that I know MMS snd SMS are not the same. Since you cant send a photo as an SMS the redundancy in explaining the difference to me rather than the OP if that was even part their initial query boggles the mind.....but thanks anyways. Its been duly noted if ever needed for future reference.

@fricstix 

Yes thats perfectly normal.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@fricstix

Text messaging (MMS) 12 sec to send +3 sec=15sec to recieve.

MMS isn't text messaging and are both seperate protocols. As for the amount of time to send or receive an MMS message, there isn't any set amount time, even if the exact same sized file is sent each time. Network conditions can affect the amount of time needed greatly.

+1.  Text messages have to go through an aggregator before reaching the receiving network.  There are quite a few hops along the way.  The timing is not something that can be predicted precisely.  When I do 2fa for bank login, the messages are literally instant.  I would say no more than maybe 2-3 seconds.  If it took longer than that, I would be hitting the send again button and then getting two text back to back.  

fricstix

So for 1 bar that's okay?

@darlicious wrote:

@fricstix

MMS isn't text messaging and are both seperate protocols. As for the amount of time to send or receive an MMS message, there isn't any set amount time, even if the exact same sized file is sent each time. Network conditions can affect the amount of time needed greatly.

@fricstix

Edit: YMMV  Thats me sending it from one phone to another in the same room so both on the same network with the same signal strength.

fricstix

It seems to take 20 seconds to send a photo and 10 seconds to receive a photo after clearing the messesges cache. Is that amount of time normal?

@fricstix 

After double checking my instructions were correct...not!....and correcting i went back into my phone and cleared the cache of all of my apps. A little regular maintenance goes a long way in improving the performance of your phone.

fricstix

I have clear the 4.3mb in the cache for messenger. I attach photos in the my android messenger app. I attach then select the photo, then send with data on.

Hi @fricstix 

This may seem like a silly question, but you are referring to sending photos through MMS messaging and NOT an e-mail program?

Only asking because I expect it will take considerably longer through some e-mail applications.

@fricstix wrote:

Where do I clear the cache? 

Are you on Android? Go to settings. Go to storage. Choose internal storage. Choose cached data. Delete.

@fricstix 

Go to settings, apps....find your texting app,  then advanced or data depending on your phone then it will have clear data and clear cache. Choose clear cache.

Edit: sorry then choose storage and clear cache not advanced or data

fricstix

This is for everyone I send to

fricstix

Where do I clear the cache? With koodo I didn't have to clear a photo cache. The photos are only 100kb-1mb. Do I have to changes my settings to the telus setting? My data settings are from PM.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

pubwmob
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

it depends the size of photo

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@fricstix wrote:

It me takes a minute plus to recieve 1 photo. It takes me 5 minutes for someone to recieve 1 photo from me. Is there a way to receive and send photos faster?

Is this to everyone you send to?  When I am sending MMS I don't seem to have that issue at all

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@fricstix 

Thats a long time. Have you tried clearing your texting app cache?

Need Help? Let's chat.