cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How good is the data at the reduced speed?

newworld
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Since I do not have a fiber network in my current residence this month, I need to change my subscription to a plan with a much higher data quota.

I will buy the $34 per month or $50 per month plan. If the usage passes the limit, the data will be at a reduced speed. Could you please tell me how good the data is at the reduced speed based on your real experience? Can I use it to browse web pages or use social media platforms? Will it use the 4G network or 3G?

Any help would be much appreciated!

18 REPLIES 18

newworld

Hello @fixin1, thanks!

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@newworld - I am assuming you lost the data due to the plan being Unlimited Data. Some data add-ons become incompatible when used with an Unlimited Data plan. But at least you get 10 extra GB a month for you! So a couple x better than if you got a 50GB plan.

Also you're welcome! Yes, Quebec has both the Canada-US plans and a 60GB data (Unlimited data).

newworld

Hi @fixin1, thanks very much for mentioning this! My number is a Quebec number, and I found I can see the old $34 plan with unlimited data. Unfortunately, my previous data add-ons which have left about 1.5 GB of data were lost after I changed my subscription.

fixin1

@newworld - Or the $40 75GB plan. Only if you are in Quebec will you have access to a $34 50GB + 10GB bonus data plan with Unlimited Data. They also have the Canada-US 50GB $34 plan.

It is quite annoying that there are 0 Unlimited Data plans. Maybe we should be able to pick between Canada-US data or unlimited data at reduced speeds. Or just make an Unlimited Data plan Public Mobile!

My thought on Public Mobiles current plans:

There is too many things to chose from, 10GB more for +$5? +$6 for 15GB? +$10 for 15GB?

$29 40GB
+$5 = 50GB $34 plan
+$6 = 75GB $40 plan
+$10 = 100GB $50 plan

newworld

Hi @fixin1, thanks for the reply! I got it.

Unfortunately, I need to change my subscription today or tomorrow, since my data add-ons will be used up soon.

If the unlimited data feature was available, the $34 plan would be good for me. Now, I may need to consider the $50 plan.

fixin1

@newworld - The "We will wait" is what I am saying as that there is currently 0 unlimited data plans.

So I'll wait for it to change back on their site to get a new plan for a rural friend with a ZTE router and port their landline over and they will be able to pay $34 with landline talk and data.

newworld

Hello @Grandkids, thanks for the reply! I need to change my subscription because I need much more data this month.

newworld

Hello @fixin1, thanks for the information!

That sounds not bad. If only it does not work well for high-definition video, that would be fine for me.

Sorry, could you please tell me what you mean by "we will wait"?

Thanks for the advice for the modern. Unfortunately, I will leave Canada this month, so most likely I use my phone and share a hot spot.

Grandkids

I had the $34 plan for years and it was just fine. I only changed because I went to the US on holidays and wanted to be able to talk to family home.

fixin1

@newworld - I have it once and 480P / 360P on YouTube was the max I could go before buffering. 512kbps here.

Everything else except video worked as expected. Also file upload is slow. 

I am also planning on getting the plan for a friend.

Along with the unlimited data... so we will wait.

Also you may want to get a modem. I would recommend either a ZTE modem or a Gl.iNet one.

newworld

Thanks for the updates!

Unfortunately, I did not buy it ealier.

newworld

Thank you very much for the information!

newworld

Hi @Handy1, thanks for the information!
Is that fine to use social media like Facebook at the reduced speed?

@newworld wrote:

Hi @computergeek541, thanks for the reply!

I opened a ticket two days ago about the $50 plan, I was told that it would be at a reduced speed for unlimited data. Sorry to ask, but the update you mentioned about the plans just happened? 

The plans changed today.  The plans that included unlimited data are no longer available.

newworld

Hi @computergeek541, thanks for the reply!

I opened a ticket two days ago about the $50 plan, I was told that it would be at a reduced speed for unlimited data. Sorry to ask, but the update you mentioned about the plans just happened? 

@Handy1 wrote:

@newworld  You won’t be watching high def videos . But it’s good for email . Will be reduced up to 512kbps 

The current plans don't have unlimited data.

@newworld wrote:

Since I do not have a fiber network in my current residence this month, I need to change my subscription to a plan with a much higher data quota.

I will buy the $34 per month or $50 per month plan. If the usage passes the limit, the data will be at a reduced speed. Could you please tell me how good the data is at the reduced speed based on your real experience? Can I use it to browse web pages or use social media platforms? Will it use the 4G network or 3G?

The speed being reduced to 512Kbps for plans with unlmited data at reduced speeds doesn't change the network type.  All Public Mobile plans allow access to the same networks.  Unfortunately, there are no longer any Public Mobile plans being currently offered that have that feature (unless you arleady have one of those plans), so if you take the current $34 plan, data will stop working once you reach 50GB.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@newworld  You won’t be watching high def videos . But it’s good for email . Will be reduced up to 512kbps 

Need Help? Let's chat.