cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot on iPhone not visible to others (not on the same iCloud anccounr) until “Settings -> Persona

SeanM42
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hotspot on iPhone not visible to others (not on the same iCloud anccounr) until “Settings -> Personal Hotspot” is opened. 
iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 17.5

i have tried another carrier’s SIM card in the same phone and found the hotspot is immediately visible to all devices around. 

how can this fixed so the hotspot is constanly visible to all devices?

13 REPLIES 13

SeanM42

yes

SeanM42

yes

SeanM42

Thanks, there are no carrier updates showing. iOS, as mentioned, is 17.5 which was released this week.

SeanM42

I think the “allow others to join” is key here. The difference between a hotspot that is visible only to devices on the same icloud account (or other icloud family users) and a hotspot that is visible to all wifi capable devices.. 

and @SeanM42  

you sure you were not setting up Instant Hotpot instead of Personal Hotspot?  
Instant Hotspot only work on same iCloud account

this is instant hotspot

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/how-to-use-apples-instant-hotspot-feature/

HI @SeanM42 

maybe you  need one more reboot

but before reboot , make sure you update Carrier profile and iOS

SeanM42

changing the APN from isp.mb.com to sp.mb.com and rebooting did not resolve the issue. “Allow others to join” is and has been enabled.

The iOS name of the device/wifi network is alphanumeric and as was mentioned is visible  (and only) after selecting “Settings -> Personal Hotspot”  to devices not logged into the same iCloud account

FWIW my iPhone has sp.mb.com and username and password blank but my iPad doesn't see it until I toggle on Allow Others to Join.  But the OP already has that toggled on also.

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SeanM42 - Try under "Cellular Data Network" and enter this information:

APN: sp.mb.com or isp.mb.com

Username: {Blank}

Password: {Blank}

And reboot device, also try to enable "Allow others to join"

Or maybe your iOS name has a character that doesn't like it on Wi-Fi.

PM also has hotspot free.

SeanM42

yes “others” refers to other wifi devices that can list available networks. the list on multiple devices does not include the hotspot configured with “Allow others to join” on the iPhone

SeanM42

yes

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I gather the 'other's you write of are refreshing their available connections in their wi-fi settings to see if your iPhone hotspot is displaying?

Perhaps it's in the list --- just somewhere not as obvious.

This does sound odd, for sure...

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@SeanM42   Do you have Allow Others to Join enabled?

Need Help? Let's chat.