cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with data and messages

Asc1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an iPhone 6 and everything works fine when connected to wifi, but when not connected to wifi I don't seem to have any data (even though I have some with my plan) and I can’t send messages to other iPhones. I can’t search the web for anything or use maps etc. I have “send as sms” on so it should send messages even if I don’t have data, but it’s not working. I’ve tried the troubleshooting like manually selecting the public carrier, turning airplane on and off, restarting my phone. Nothing works. 

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you do try reseat the SIM card

1.power off your device

2.take out the SIM card,

3.wipe it clean SIM card,

4.put it back and power on,

5.toggling airplane mode off/on,  

it happened sometime you know, A normal reboot without reset, didn't work. At least try it,

only work after reseating the SIM card.

and do rebooting your phone - This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

How to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  HERE 

Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click HERE 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  HERE 

Changing APN Settings On Android device

click HERE

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting HERE.

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

Turn your data on to send a Picture Messaging in world-wide,

if your data is off and your home internet wifi is on is not going through the Picture or a video Messaging, 

you have to do this to is go through you will need to turn your data on to send a Picture or a video Messaging in world-wide,

make sure your DATA is on.

Good Luck

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Asc1  Try turning Messages and FaceTime off for a few minutes, then back on. Will force the Apple servers to reset. 

@Asc1 

you might try to sync to iTunes 

1. Insert your working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart.

Asc1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thank you, it won’t let me change anything for the apn….only for hot spotting 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Asc1 wrote:

I have an iPhone 6 and everything works fine when connected to wifi, but when not connected to wifi I don't seem to have any data (even though I have some with my plan) and I can’t send messages to other iPhones. I can’t search the web for anything or use maps etc. I have “send as sms” on so it should send messages even if I don’t have data, but it’s not working. I’ve tried the troubleshooting like manually selecting the public carrier, turning airplane on and off, restarting my phone. Nothing works. 

Hello @Asc1 ,

Do a RESET of your Network Settings.

If you turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead.

To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

• Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  • Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  • Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  • Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  • Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Asc1  if your selfserve doesn't show a data addon in the overview page then it has been used. If it shows the add-on then this link has some good info for iOS

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Asc1 

Double checking, when you log into your Self Service account, how much data does it show you have remaining?

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

Also, can you double check your APN settings for your data connection?

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

Need Help? Let's chat.