cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group chat not working

Bluesarag
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
  •  

Suddenly today, I can't send or receive messages in group texts. I tried everything online to fix this like turning on and off all SMS/MMS/ RCS settings, and restarting the phone. Nothing works. I need group chats for my work, so this needs to be fixed asap please!

Screenshot_2024-02-28-10-13-27-16_0ce57feeccaa51fb7deed04b4dbda235.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

Bluesarag

SOLUTION: Thanks for all the help. The solution was to create a new APN with all the features provided by @softech and then DELETE ALL OTHER APN on the phone. I tried to just use "reset all APN settings" then make the new APN but this didn't work. If you also have OnePlus with confusing settings navigation, the way to delete an APN is to click on the ℹ️ circle to edit it and then scroll all the way down where a trash can icon will appear. Delete all APN on your phone except the new one you just made.

Good luck and thanks for your help!

Bluesarag

Tried this again today and still didn't work 😞

MarkeeBee

Thanks for this - I did indeed end up having to tweak APN settings... Again.

MarkeeBee

The upgrade to 14 was a while back.  Not sure what caused this yesterday but seems related to APN changes.  

@Bluesarag @MarkeeBee 

Try to manually update your APN settings

• first delete the current APN settings
  • Then add new and enter the following, case sensitive and please no extra spaces:

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
           (might need to include DUN for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

Bluesarag

This is obviously not an exhaustive list since it only haa a few of the very big android brands. There are dozens of other new android brands that have support, or Public Mobile would be SOL.

Yes I have data turned on. Wifi on or off the issue is still there. Again, my settings have not been touched and it worked yesterday and suddenly not today. So wifi being on or off should not be the issue if I could get MMS group chat with wifi on my entire time up until today.

Bluesarag

No, I'm on android 13

@MarkeeBee   Your phone should not be affected by the MMS APN issue, but did you by chance upgrade to Android 14 recently?  It seems to have caused problems for some.

MarkeeBee

I've been experiencing the same issue today with a Pixel 7pro. 

@Bluesarag   Your phone is not on the MMS compatible list

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/picture-messaging-updates 

Edited to add, do you have cellular data turned on on the phone?  Looking at your pic it seems only wifi is on and MMS doesn't work on wifi.

Bluesarag

I have heard nothing about this but my phone is OnePlus 9, DEFINITELY newer than 2015. I made a new APN setting according to the Public Mobile article and it did not fix the issue.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Bluesarag 

What about MMS messaging?  

Recent announcement from Public mobile about older phones and updating APN settings.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Picture-and-Group-Messaging-End-Date-Fe...

Need Help? Let's chat.