cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got charged $84 on a $75 Top-up

Chowmyster
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Recently my 90 day (auto-pay) enabled plan ran out of data and I was looking around to see if I can top my the account. 

Further looked in the forms and found that it is not possible as of today, which is fine.

My problem is that during that time of trying to "renew" my account I had made a one time payment of $75 and it was properly credited on my account. But for what ever reason, I was charged $84 on my Credit Card bill.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, I have contected the support as well but they have not responded to me yet so I am trying out the community. (but im pretty sure this issue needs to be fixed by them)

Anyways,

Thanks 🙂

5 REPLIES 5

trshtup
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

right....was thinking that he just added $ to his account, not actually purchasing something; my mistake.  I got the tax part right at least 🙂

This is not an error.  The prices listed on PublicMobile plans are without taxes applied.  So in BC, the $75 dollar plan is charged 7% PST + 5% HST, $84.

in Ontario, I would be charged $84.75

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@trshtup not true--tax is always applied on top of the top-up amount.

@Chowmyster this is normal, tax is added to all payments.  The plan amounts are all quoted before tax.  Top ups are most often done for the amount remaining.  So, let's say you owed $100 for your next renewal (hypothetical amount).  If you only had $100 in your account because you topped it up with $100, the renewal would fail because it would try to withdrawl $100+tax from your account.  So when you do a top up, you are taxed on the top up, credited the pre-taxed amount, and then charged the pre-taxed amount for your renewal (or add-on purchase, etc).

EDIT:  apparently I can't type!  Missed the "L" in "plan"

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

trshtup
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

...Looks like you were charged tax (in BC at least 12% of $75 is $84).  Makes sense if your $75 was a recurring payment, but if you just added $75 to your account then it shouldn't have been charged.  Seems like you might have been taxed inadvertantly; I'm sure a moderator could rectify this quickly 🙂

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I believe your HST rate is 12%, right?  If so, the $84 is the $75+ tax.

Need Help? Let's chat.