cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Wrong Province making Phone Number Change...need 30 day exemption on Change

fmpsportsguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So 85 Yr old Mom just moved to Nova Scotia from Ontario, went to change her PM phone number from Self serve, selected calling group , Chose Halifax, all went well and easy, got a new number... until I called my sister from the New number and apparently it is a PEI Number! 

Now I apparently can't make another change for 30 days. I need help in correcting this PM database Error!

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Quick and easy way to prove that it is a local Halifax is to find a local landline number, even a payphone if need be and call the new cell number. 

I don't know of another example where an Area COde is split across multiple provinces or states besides that one. With all the new area codes that became available after the need for the middle digit to be a 0 or a 1 was eliminated and considering the number of times that Area Codes were outright changed (rather than doing overlays) I have always been a little surprised that PEI wasn’t given its own new area code.

AE_Collector

@fmpsportsguy wrote:

Just to add a new wrinkle, Apparently when Mom called in to Change her health card, she was Told the Covid 811 hotline/ vaccine application they wouldn't recognize anything but 902 numbers... will have to look into that?

@fmpsportsguy That's a government issue not Public Mobile, though if you present it that way to a moderator perhaps they will help you change to a 902.

@fmpsportsguy wrote:

Just to add a new wrinkle, Apparently when Mom called in to Change her health card, she was Told the Covid 811 hotline/ vaccine application they wouldn't recognize anything but 902 numbers... will have to look into that?

There's always an option to change the phone number again in the future. However, for this instance, this once again isn't a problem with the Public Mobile services, but with the system that the hotline is using not having up-to-date information about what it consider to be valid phone number. This is something that only the hotline organizers can fix.

fmpsportsguy

@fmpsportsguy wrote:

So No issues if she were to use this Number for her New Apartments door access system? 

There shouldn't be. It's a Halifax number regardless of an erroneous information that your sister's phone is displaying. If there is an issue with using this phone number with the intercom, that issue with the building owner's phone company.

@fmpsportsguy wrote:

So No issues if she were to use this Number for her New Apartments door access system? 

@fmpsportsguy Should have no issues as it is a valid local Halifax number.

fmpsportsguy

@fmpsportsguy wrote:

234 are the next digits... Sisters phone is an Ontario Number

@fmpsportsguy 782-234-XXXX is a valid Halifax number regardless of what is being shown on someones call display.

@fmpsportsguy wrote:

All 782-234 number are Halifax, Nova Scotia phone numbers. The issue is either with your sister's carrier providing incorrect information on the call display from that carrier's database,or a company such as Google searching for a city, province, state, or country name but having the wrong information. There is no actual service issue here with Public Mobile. Your mom absolutely does have a proper Halifax phone number. The information being displayed on your sister's phone can be ignored.

fmpsportsguy

fmpsportsguy

Sorry but I have to point out your Solution is only half accurate, and kind of regret accepting your answer as a solution, so Quickly. 

Your first part about using Chat/Robot.. waste of time and may want to delete it from your Solutions in Future. Why? had to spend 5 minutes finding the Chat Icon (its black on my computer?), Then when I typed in "Contact Moderator" as evident in the attached picture.. I was still missing info.

In the end I clicked on your Send a private message and was able to submit my info... But Thanks

contact moderator.jpg

@fmpsportsguy wrote:

Well I chose the 782 prefix not knowing, and it came up PEI on sisters cell phone. Mom's going to need a Halifax number (902) for all her change of Address info, and Apartment door access... 

Just saying it Should have been a bit clearer on sign up

but thanks for the Info

What are the 3 digits after 782? It's quite possible that the phone number is a Halifax number and that the issue isn't even with Public Mobile, but actually with the receiving carrier.  Some phones also sometimes use software to display a city/province/state/country infromation, but sometimes that software sources incorrect information from an internet database (this also isn't a Public Mobile issue).

fmpsportsguy

Well I chose the 782 prefix not knowing, and it came up PEI on sisters cell phone. Mom's going to need a Halifax number (902) for all her change of Address info, and Apartment door access... 

Just saying it Should have been a bit clearer on sign up

but thanks for the Info

@fmpsportsguy wrote:

So 85 Yr old Mom just moved to Nova Scotia from Ontario, went to change her PM phone number from Self serve, selected calling group , Chose Halifax, all went well and easy, got a new number... until I called my sister from the New number and apparently it is a PEI Number! 

Now I apparently can't make another change for 30 days. I need help in correcting this PM database Error!

Thanks

As you already know, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia do use the same area codes.  Have you checked with the CNAC website to confirm your findings?

CO Code Status for NPA 782 (cnac.ca)

CO Code Status for NPA 902 (cnac.ca)

Currently, I'm seeing Public Mobile offering 782-234, 902-329, and 905-580 phone numbers. I can confirm that all 3 blocks of numbers are for Halifax, NS.  Strangely, I have seen a screenshot from another member that clearly had a Toronto phone number shown for selection for a city in a different province.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@fmpsportsguy...

with Canada wide calling, your Mom won't be paying anything extra to make a call to anyone in Canada.

In 30 days, she can select a new number.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@fmpsportsguy 

In this case, you will need to contact moderator.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the blue chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.