cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geolocation is Montreal Quebec and I am in Ontario

angiemarie247
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Guys. This is a problem.

There are certain sites I cannot access because I am being geolocated in Montreal Quebec (my data). How do I get this to be put to Ontario. 

10 REPLIES 10

@angiemarie247 , try toggling airplane mode.  From time to time this can lead to getting a different IP address.  Depending on the IP address location, I get annoying captchas when using Firefox focus which is one of my favorite moving mobile browsers.  Toggling airplane mode is general effective. 

@softech wrote:

And which payment system is that picky on where the traffic comes from? honest, most won't care as long as the traffic is from Canada.  And also with that particular system, it is not an issue to Telus  as how they route your traffic out.  

I see this being as much an issue with the customer tv service as it is a Public Mobile issue.  I can't think of a reason why this tv service would limit the service to specific provinces.  Companies need to be aware the location based on IP address has always been very inaccurate. If the IP address was associated with an entirely different country, I could see that being an issue due to tv licensing agreeemnts.

@EB0 wrote:

@angiemarie247 

I don’t think there is any solution for this issue, I live in Ontario, my public mobile IP from Montreal, for geo sensitive website, I use home WiFi which has the correct location 

In my case, that wouldn't work.  I'm in Ontario and I always get an an IP address that is stated to be in the Montreal area.  It just happesn to be that the my home internet also gets IP addresses associated with the same area.  For me, this doesn't usually prsent any major difficulties.  I do tend to get adveritsing for services, products, and stores not aren't geographically in the same urban area.

@angiemarie247 

All the data traffic on the Eastern Canada goes through Toronto and Montreal.  It looks like people on East Ontario and Maritime always have to go through data centre in Montreal while people in GTA and west Ontario are randomly going through Toronto and Montreal

Sorry, this is not something you can choose and it is absolutely normal that your traffic is going via a data centre which is not from one closer to you.  Latency is also small enough that there is no real need to have the traffic routed out from a data centre close to you.     And one reason why they need to route your traffic via a different data centre is traffic control.  There are certainly high enough traffic from GTA area and hence some traffic in Ontario has to be helped by other data centers like Montreal or even Alberta's

If you are in GTA, there is a chance you can have the traffic changed by getting a new IP, which can only be done by turning off your phone for as much  as half an hour or more in order for the system to flush your old IP, but again, this is still not guarantee

And which payment system is that picky on where the traffic comes from? honest, most won't care as long as the traffic is from Canada.  And also with that particular system, it is not an issue to Telus  as how they route your traffic out.  

And a possible work around is to turn on your GPS and give Location permission to the app or the browser app you are using for that payment system.  Some app or website would take the GPS location instead of the IP address location as a reference

EB0
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@angiemarie247 

I don’t think there is any solution for this issue, I live in Ontario, my public mobile IP from Montreal, for geo sensitive website, I use home WiFi which has the correct location 

angiemarie247

I am always home. I dont travel for work etc... i am always in the city I live in. I am not sure what this solution is supposed to help with?

I'm assuming that you went into the phone settings, checked location permission, and set it to allow? Maybe you might need to tweak your IP address. 

Try to turn airplane mode on and off. This might fix it temporarily. 

Eventually,  this seems to be normal 😒

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

from what I know , this is normal for all Telus/Koodo/PM customers.  the traffic can come via Montreal or Toronto for Ontario customers.  Nothing you can do.  If the payment system you have is senstive to where you are, then pay when you are home using home internet

angiemarie247

And these sites detect vpn usage. It is impossible to have my geolocation set to Ontario, where I reside? I mean - I pay for subscriptions for TV that wont work. This is nuts. 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@angiemarie247  hi, unfortunately,  this is not something that you can't fix. It happens randomly.  Comes and goes.

You could try downloading a VPN such as Potato or X-VPN. Those are free. 

If you want a really good paid one you can try Nord.

Need Help? Let's chat.