Did you mean: 

From Nano Sim to eSim

Mhon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, Public Neighbours!

just a quick question.

i am currently a Nano Sim customer.

my phone supports eSIM.

do i need to cancel my existing Public Mobile Account and existing Nano Sim AND THEN ipen a new PUBLIC MOBILE SUBSCRIPTION to have an eSIM account?

Thank you in advance, Eh!

6 REPLIES 6

Mhon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wow! What an eye-opening thread. Thank you to all of you who took the time to educate me.

i never realize that it is only for a particular hardware that it was registered to and it does not stay after a hardware wipe! Whew! Thanks to everyone for their support. Before getting your answers, i wanted to go for eSim for the "convenient factor" if not having to open the phone and risk scratching the finish, especially with the flimsy coating of the iPhone 15 Pro Max. I have heard and watched several sources reporting that the finish of the 15 Pro Max was a scratch-magnet 😂 😆 😝 so not wanting to risk scratching a phone that cost me over $2,000 CAD and the convenience of not having to do anything to join the public mobile network was the factor that pushed me to consider the eSim, although with all or your clarifications and knowledge shared with me, the hassle of having to buy an eSim per phone per unwiped session made the choice ti stay with a NanoSim easier, heck, the choice was even made for me 😂 😆 😝 

again, many thanks to all of you and i hope you will never get tired of helping a non-techy like me.

Please always Take Care, Keep Safe and God Bless! 🙏 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Mhon 

I wouldn't switch unless you really needed too. it's more than likely going to cause you headaches. it's more like a half baked esim feature they added just so they can advertise they have esim 🫣

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

All of the above except to add, why?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Mhon 

no, you can simply buy a new eSIM using the app

First, download the app, click  on the bottom left to bring up the menu and go to Subscription & Add-on page, scroll down to the bottom and click Shop SIM Card Now.  You can buy and install eSIM from there

However, while eSIM is "cool", there are disadvantages as well.  For eSIM, if you have a new phone, or if you ever wipe your phone, you will have to re-buy a new eSIM again.   There is no such problem with Physical sim card.  So, if you have the physical slot, I suggest you to stay with physical sim

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mhon 

You don’t need to close any accounts, all you need to do is purchase an eSIM and it will automatically be setup for your existing account. You can do this by downloading the PM app on your device that you want the eSIM on, go to subscription and add-on’s and then scroll down and click “Shop SIM Card Now”

Just know that with going to eSIM you won’t be able to swap it between devices, all eSIM’s are one time use and if you ever erase it or want it on another device you will have to purchase another eSIM. This is the biggest disadvantage between Physical SIM cards and eSIM.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Mhon 

nope. You'll activate the esim in place of the old sim. Then you can chuck out the old one.

siimmm.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.