cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fringe area reception.

bmwrider
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there an attenna, booster, or other signal enhancer to be able to receive cell signal? I am in a small pocket where there is no coverage and need something to get me a signal as I will be living there full time. I looked at various things on line that say they can boost a signal, but I don't know if any of them are any good, or if they will help in my area. 

10 REPLIES 10

bmwrider

OK, so I finally got a signal booster and I can get 3 bars sometimes, 2 bars others, 1 bar a lot of the time. Calls worked ok, but lately people can't hear me, or they report break up of voice, or very staticy sounds on line. Any idea why that would be? I still get 2-3 bars, but people can't hear me well

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@bmwrider 

Actually your property is well positioned to boost your signal from both bell towers in your area but your 3G tower is to the west with bands 2 and 5 with its signal transmitting east at 86°. Your 4G LTE tower is northeast of you near Stanley. It's signal transmits north, south (185°) and southwest at 219°.

Screenshot_20230604_015020_Chrome~2.jpgScreenshot_20230604_014955_Chrome~2.jpg

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@bmwrider 

Awhile back @gpixel had some suggestions for another user that were around the $100 price range from amazon. With proper timing and testing if the ordered product doesn't work it can be returned within Amazon's 30 day return policy.

Most importantly you want to ensure you are aiming the cell booster towards your closest  tower. You can use cell mapper to locate your closest telus/bell towers with 3G and 4G LTE networks. Use the instructions from the post linked below** on how to see the azimuth/zone coverage from the cell tower to help when you test/install the cell booster to find tbe best signal for your needs.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

(**the same instructions apply for in Canada even though the thread is for US Roaming just choose Telus or Bell and 3G and/or 4G LTE.)

bmwrider

Thanks, I can get about 50 meters from me on the road, but where I am building I am further down the hill, so it may improve once I get the building on its foundation and in the air a bit.  I don't expect I will ever run into someone who uses one of these, but will try.  Thanks.

bmwrider

I can't get internet either, at least not right away, as most carriers don't have service there, other than sattelite which I am trying to stay away from, so I was depending on cell service and data to be able to do my banking, get emails, etc. I may have to get sattelite, despite its expense, and dig my Ooma phone out of the closet, as much as I hated it in a prior location, it may be all I can use.

bmwrider

Thanks, I watched that whole video and didn't really see much, or anything about cell phone service. I am not the most technical of people, so maybe it was there, so maybe it was there, just hidden in all the info on networking, wifi, and other computer related stuff. 

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

LTT video on signal booster install: youtube link. 

The brand mentioned in the video is not cheap though: google link. 

Full disclosure: my only knowledge of signal boosters is from this video basically lol

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Won't help you on PM, but another option is to consider a provider that offers wifi calling. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Boosters DO work, @bmwrider 

We use them in a remote area where I need to walk to the top of the hill just to get a signal otherwise.

They are hit or miss, however.

Recommendation would be to try one first to see if it'll boost signal enough (if you can 'borrow' one for a bit). 

Then at least you'll know if you want to spend the money on one.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@bmwrider   there were some discussions about booster before.   here is one:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Booster/m-p/823327

or Search the forum for more

Need Help? Let's chat.