cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Roaming IP address

Lillish
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey, this has been an ongoing issue wondering what I can do to fix it so currently when I turn my data on my IP address reads that I’m located in Quebec and I’m not I’m located Kingston Ontario !! When I get home and shut my data off it clearly knows I’m in Ontario, butt when I’m out and about trying to use my data it claims I’m in Quebec… ughhhh very frustrating please help 

6 REPLIES 6

@will13am  IP location check was never reliable.  While some sites really try to locate where (which data centre) the traffic comes out off, those poorly designed sites just cached the IP-location from before and simply returne those old cached result

so, question to OP is why OP needs precise location?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Just for fun, I checked my current IP location and it is showing up as Hamilton, ON.  More and more web sites do not care what the IP location is recognizing that people roam all around the world, never mind within province or country and carriers/ISPs issue random IP addresses to their customers.  I recall CIBC used to lock me out of my account if I am not showing a local to home IP.  I had to SSH tunnel back into the home router to fool the site into thinking that I was actually surfing at home.  I don't have to do that anymore as they no longer use IP as a security checking parameter.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lillish Telus has data centers in Burnaby, Calgary, Toronto, Quebec.  All your traffic through one of the data centres and usually that's how some websites or app returns your location if the are only tracking by IP 

But there are quiet some discrepancies with the different apps or site.  I tested it once with the same IP, same time with those "Where my IP" sites and apps, they returned me all 4 locations

And what are you trying to do that needs exact location?? If it is for app, you might want to grant it Location permission and turn on GPS so the app can take the GPS location (precise) instead of IP lookup (unreliable).  But again, not all app set to use GPS to take the location.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Lillish this is normal.  IPs for anywhere east of Toronto, and Maritimes, all shows Quebec.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Lillish , the IP address issued by Public Mobile seems to be rather random and not necessarily indicative of your actual location.  Toggling airplane mode might get you a new IP address.  Give it a try.  Alternatively, run a VPN if a local IP address is important to you.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Does this matter, @Lillish ?

By any chance, does the area code you're using belong to a Quebec area, or Ontario?

Need Help? Let's chat.