cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM radio and Samsung CSCs

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello all,

I have an extremely specific question that I have been struggling to find an answer to for the last few weeks. Perhaps one of you may have some experience with it:

I have a Samsung S20 Ultra that is currently on the "PMB" CSC and I am unable to use the FM radio functionality in it. I've read conflicting information about whether the generic "XAC" CSC comes enabled with FM radio functionality. I'm trying to figure out which CSC to switch my phone to, before I go ahead and perform the switch (which will involve backing up and resetting all the data, a time-consuming endeavour).

Let me be clear: It is certain that this FM radio functionality is connected to the CSC that the phone is provisioned with.

Is anyone running "XAC" on their Samsung S20 or S21 series phones? If so, would you be able to download the NextRadio app to check if the FM radio feature is available on your phone and share your results here?

6 REPLIES 6

@0PX9O4   I doubt you will get much out of it.

this another thread on XDA developer about Note 20 Ultra and FM Radio.  They have no way to the FM going too

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/fm-radio-tuner-nextradio-snapdragon.4154679/

You might want to start a thread there and see if you can find an expert with a hack 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thank you everyone for your responses, but my question remains unanswered. If anyone else has personal experience with this, I would appreciate it.

@AnonymousThanks for your quick response, but I wasn't looking for help finding other apps that can use the built-in FM radio functionality. I already mentioned one in my original post.

@darliciousThanks for reiterating this, but my original message already states that my phone (provisioned with "PMB" CSC) has disabled FM radio. The question I posed in the original post still remains, about the presence of working FM radio in "XAC" (and/or other Canadian) CSC(s).

@softechThe two CSCs mentioned in my original post ("PMB" and "XAC") are both Canadian, as is my phone. CSCs from other countries' carriers cannot be provisioned on Canadian Samsung phones and vice versa. The model number for the Canadian S20 Ultra is SM-G988W.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@0PX9O4  where you got your Samsung S20 Ultra?  is that a Canadian model ? US model ? or model from other country?  What is the exact model number of your S20 Ultra?

Look like some US carrier model (T-Mobile) still have the FM radio enabled while the US unlocked one and AT&T are disabled.

From what people said, Samsung blame it on the carriers and insist the carrier firmware has it locked.  Which I am not surprise.  Carriers have been locking many minor things for no reason.

@darlicious 

I remember that for some Samsung devices, the same thing happeed after an upgrade to Android 9.  After a few months, Samsung did eventually (and quietly) re-enabled the feature.  

@Anonymous 

This isn't a matter of the OP finding the correct software.  On some devices, Samsung has disabled the option for OTA FM radio.  There isn't any app that can get around that.

@0PX9O4 

If you have the latest OS update then Samsung has disabled the ability to use the FM radio app in your phone if its a North American version. Read more about it here....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Samsung-A50-with-wokring-built-in-FM-...

Need Help? Let's chat.