cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Each MMS sent uses 0.001 mb of data?

mchuahua
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just testing mms and checking total data usage. Somehow each mms sent uses 0.001 mb of data according to the data usage page. I'm refreshing after each mms and it does increase the usage each time per mms sent...

I'm logging data used on my phone and the only thing using it is my texting app via mms.

The usage history does display as MMS and data usage as '1', which from earlier forum posts seems correct.

Just wondering if this is normal?

22 REPLIES 22

mchuahua

@geopublic Yes, I am using android with the messages app. Data usage shown on my phone per MMS is ~.4 mb, depending on audio vs video vs pic sent.

@mchuahua wrote:

I mean yeah it doesn't matter much to me as I'm planning on just using data for maps so it doesn't even make a dent, but just curious as I thought it's not supposed to use up data.

Exactly - the amount is miniscule, but I find it rather odd that SOME data is being used when, in my case, data is turned off most of the time, and as mentioned yesterday, some data was apparently used even when my phone was turned off.

@mchuahua  Just curious what does the data usage on your phone show for the app you use to send mms?

Are you using Android? Are you using the messages app or another app?

mchuahua

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

@mchuahua wrote:

@LoveMyBolt Is this what you mean by front overview counter?

Yes. I find it easier to read. And yes it turns out to be the same.

I still think there's something odd happening with the small number of people noticing it enough to say something about it. Some might not care for such a small amount. But there is principle.

I mean yeah it doesn't matter much to me as I'm planning on just using data for maps so it doesn't even make a dent, but just curious as I thought it's not supposed to use up data.

LoveMyBolt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mchuahua wrote:

@LoveMyBolt Is this what you mean by front overview counter?

Yes. I find it easier to read. And yes it turns out to be the same.

I still think there's something odd happening with the small number of people noticing it enough to say something about it. Some might not care for such a small amount. But there is principle.

mchuahua

@LoveMyBolt Is this what you mean by front overview counter?Clipboard01.png

LoveMyBolt

@mchuahua wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@mchuahua wrote:

@will13am each time i send a mms it increases by one in the data used

That's a data event.  I don't see reference to Mbytes.  

I send a MMS, refresh the data used chart (2nd pic), and it increases by 0.001 MB. 

While likely the same, what does your front overview counter say?

mchuahua

@will13am wrote:

@mchuahua wrote:

@will13am each time i send a mms it increases by one in the data usedClipboard02.pngClipboard03.png

I send a MMS, refresh the data used chart (2nd pic), and it increases by 0.001 MB. 

LoveMyBolt

@will13am wrote:

@mchuahua wrote:

@will13am each time i send a mms it increases by one in the data used

In the lower chart. 11KB?? That's either a phone doing very little while connected to data or 1KB is being drawn for some unknown reason. There are 9 MMS's showing for the one day of the chart.

@mchuahua wrote:

@will13am each time i send a mms it increases by one in the data usedClipboard02.pngClipboard03.png

LoveMyBolt

@mchuahua wrote:

I had also sent an mms from another phone but it's hard to tell if it used some data or whether it was just the phone.

ah but i can see from the data usage app on my phone that only messages app is using up data to send/receive, so I thought it must be something to do with mms 

Well...MMS goes through messaging. Maybe it's notifications/confirmations/deliveries or something that's using a whole 1KB.

mchuahua

I had also sent an mms from another phone but it's hard to tell if it used some data or whether it was just the phone.

ah but i can see from the data usage app on my phone that only messages app is using up data to send/receive, so I thought it must be something to do with mms 

mchuahua

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mchuahua , can you post a screen cap of usage history showing the data usage when sending MMS?  MMS goes through a proxy server which is supposed to bypass the data counter.  

LoveMyBolt

@CannonFodder wrote:

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

@mchuahua 

Some data is transmitted to/from your phone by simply turning on data and connecting to the network.

So, how would you explain that I had the same as the OP, i.e. a .001 MB data usage on my usage history today, after my plan renewal, and not only do I have data turned off all the time, except when I attempt to send or receive a MMS, AND my phone was actually turned off? That, and I JUST checked my usage, and it now says .002 MB have been used, all while data has been turned off all day, and the phone has had no usage, except I sent one text, and received one. 🤔 

I can't. And that's a different scenario from the thread guy.

I just did a quick re-test (I'm sure I did some time ago) and turned on data on an older phone. Refreshed and it went up a bit. On and off of airplane mode and refreshed and it reset down to something like 35KB used.

This was taken from the xmas data.

@LoveMyBolt wrote:

@mchuahua 

Some data is transmitted to/from your phone by simply turning on data and connecting to the network.

So, how would you explain that I had the same as the OP, i.e. a .001 MB data usage on my usage history today, after my plan renewal, and not only do I have data turned off all the time, except when I attempt to send or receive a MMS, AND my phone was actually turned off? That, and I JUST checked my usage, and it now says .002 MB have been used, all while data has been turned off all day, and the phone has had no usage, except I sent one text, and received one. 🤔 

mchuahua

@LoveMyBolt Yes however I have not turned data off. It has been on since I switched sim

LoveMyBolt

@mchuahua 

Refresh your overview page

Turn on airplane mode

Turn off airplane mode

You may see it reset.

Let us know. Maybe things have changed.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mchuahua Based on the previous responds, the data usage should not be charged. If it has been deducted from you limit, you should contact the moderator to fix the issue then. 

@sunflowershine wrote:

@mchuahua If you have your data on, you will be charged on data usage. How much data is based on the size of the message. If you can get access to wifi, use wifi first. 

Sending or receiving MMS is not supposed to take from your plan's data amount at all. Also, MMS cannot be sent over Wi-Fi.

mchuahua

@sunflowershine this thread says it doesn't count under our data usage though unless it's changed since? https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Does-MMS-use-chargeable-data/td-p/13393...

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mchuahua If you have your data on, you will be charged on data usage. How much data is based on the size of the message. If you can get access to wifi, use wifi first. 

Need Help? Let's chat.