cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped calls

Neena
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm having trouble with dropped calls.  Constantly. The call goes through, then I get a gurgling sound and the call is dropped, sometimes I can't call back for several minutes. We used to get reasonable service in our area -2 or 3 bars, but now it is usually one, sometimes 2 and sometimes none. 

15 REPLIES 15

Neena

Satellite Hill

Neena

Hi, thank you for this info. When I click on the cell tower that I think we are drawing from, this is what it shows: Telus (600MHz, 700MHz, 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz, 2300MHz, 2600MHz)
Rogers (700MHz, 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz).

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Neena 

The problem appears to be your connection to the 4G LTE  network which explains why the issue began when you were with Telus. Perhaps Telus has been working on that network with your local tower or they are using it to piggyback their installation of the 5G network. If you give us your location or your cell tower identification we can look at what bands are being used for which network.

I am not as familiar with the settings on an iPhone as I am with Android to direct you on where to find your signal strength info. Perhaps @BKNS27 can weigh in on that regard.

Neena

Thank you, I will do that. Hopefully it will work. 

Hi @Neena what data plan you have?? If you have $15 or $25 plan, you are ok to leave it that way.  But if you have 4G or 5G plan, you should at least open a ticket with PM and ask them to refresh your account and hope it works with VoLTE again

Neena

I just switched to 3G and have made one call that did not drop.  I'll see how it works on there for a while.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi @Neena iPhone 11 will work on PM's VoLTE. but some people does not have good experience with VoLTE and have better voice calls with 3G.  

can you pick 3G on your phone to test??

Neena

I have an iphone11

Hi @Neena not all volte phones are compatible with PM.  what phone do you have??

Neena

My phone is provisioned for VoLTE. I cannot find the signal strength... I can't find anything called "Sim card status" or signal strength. 

Neena

Thank you. My area is not well serviced, however, before I switched from Telus to PM, the service was better. Just before I switched to PM, it started dropping my calls.  Sometimes it is very bad. The tower is about 30km away.

My phone is compatible with VoLTE, so that should not be a problem. 

Neena

Thank you for the suggestion. I was on LTE.  I just switched it to 3G which was my only other option. I made a call which did not drop, so we will see how it is from here.  

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Neena 

Is your phone provisioned for VOLTE? If not then your phone uses the 3G network for voice calls. First reboot your phone. Make a test call. If you get the same result try toggling airplane mode on/off. Test again. If you still get the same result switch your phone to 3G only in your settings. Try again. What is your signal strength? You can check in your settings under About phone. Sim card status. Signal strength. Ideally you want it to be between -60dBm and -85dBm.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Neena , it is possible that there might a local outage in your area.  You might want to check out this cell tower map to see how well your area is covered.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=52.000000&lng=-97.000000&zoom=4&type=Roadm...

What phone are you using?  It has been almost a year since Public Mobile rolled out VoLTE which I believe offers a superior call quality over 3G.  However, a VoLTE whitelisted device is needed to have access to this feature.  See if your device is on the whitelist.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Don't worry about which plan you are on.  All plans have equal access to all network connectivity as well as the VoLTE feature.  Plan type only affects data speed and data bucket size.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Neena 

did you "upgrade" your regular plan recently ? Try selecting 4G or even 3G instead of 5G.

Need Help? Let's chat.