cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in connectivity indoor

bucknekked
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've notice that the past month or so i've had a massive drop in reception on my phone while I'm at the office. 

I used to have some issues with connection where people said i would cut in and out but i would still receive calls and I would still be able to send texts out.

Recently people are saying my phone goes straight to voicemail and sometimes my text messages and mms either get delayed or don't go out at all. 

I haven't changed my phone or anything and I'm still working out of the same office in scarborough

Any idea what might be going on or what I can do to improve my signal?

13 REPLIES 13

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

LTE is fine here but the 3G network for voice calls has really gone downhill. Data on it is basically unusable but even signal strength-wise for calls as resources get reallocated to LTE/5G. We need voice over LTE on Public Mobile for sure. Hopefully the fall rumors are true. 

bucknekked

my bad experience with koodo wasn't a technical issue, it was customer service and billing related.

@bucknekked wrote:

@softech 

Well now... that's not really the answer you want to hear from your service provider now is it.. 😛

hopefully this problem will fix itself sooner then later... I don't really feel like switching to a different provider... didn't have a good experience with koodo... can't afford tellus... rogers is a joke and bell are crooks... 

I'm wondering if a booster off amazon might work. Might run some tests

@bucknekked   Indoor booster might not be very helpful

I don't think it is helpful, but you can open a ticket with PM support.  It could be just an antenna issue and they are aware of it and they might give you an ETA.  But if it is really  just a "dead" spot, they won't do much

Curious, what bad experience you had from Koodo?  Koodo and PM both use the same Telus/Bell network, so the technical part is almost the same (except PM does not have VoLTE but Koodo and Telus have)

bucknekked

@softech 

Well now... that's not really the answer you want to hear from your service provider now is it.. 😛

hopefully this problem will fix itself sooner then later... I don't really feel like switching to a different provider... didn't have a good experience with koodo... can't afford tellus... rogers is a joke and bell are crooks... 

I'm wondering if a booster off amazon might work. Might run some tests

@bucknekked   from what we heard, the setting up of 5G sacrificed some 3G towers, it might be that reason the 3G antenna close to you were "gone"

We hope VoLTE will come to PM soon but we don't know, no firm date yet 

For now, you might want to use VoIP app as a workaround.  You might want to set Forward when not available to the VoIP app. 

Or course, if you don't want to way, moving to provider with VoLTE would be a solution, like Koodo or Telus

bucknekked

@softech yes I have problems with voice calls. Actually I have more problems with voice calls then data.

I sometimes will get random notifications that I missed a call when my phone didn't ring. And then I'll get a voicemail notification. And when I call people back they will tell me that my phone goes straight to voicemail.

I also have problems where the person on the other line has a hard time hearing me unless I'm standing close to the windows. I didn't use to have this problem before. 

@bucknekked   when you are in the office, you actually have problem with voice calls?  you have more problem with voice than data?

PM uses ONLY 3G for voice and data on 3G or LTE.  So, if there is a weak 3G signal, your voice will be impact but not necessary DATA 

bucknekked

@softech  it goes to h and with very low levels of connectivity it might as well not be there. I have to get up and walk up to the front windows/ doors and basically go outside for it to come back to normal.

@bucknekked   weird, 3G should still give you data.  PM can transmit data on both 3G and LTE

bucknekked

@MrSpock 

I'll try to send them a message, I tried switching my modes and the reception actually got worst as I lost my data and the reception "bars" went down... 

bucknekked

@softech 

I'm using a oneplus 5 and it's currently on 2g/3g/4g automatic.

I tried to switch it to 2g/3g automatic and 2g but I lose my data when I do that and my mms don't go out...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bucknekked wrote:

I've notice that the past month or so i've had a massive drop in reception on my phone while I'm at the office. 

I used to have some issues with connection where people said i would cut in and out but i would still receive calls and I would still be able to send texts out.

Recently people are saying my phone goes straight to voicemail and sometimes my text messages and mms either get delayed or don't go out at all. 

I haven't changed my phone or anything and I'm still working out of the same office in scarborough

Any idea what might be going on or what I can do to improve my signal?

@bucknekked   it is possible reception issue indoor, really depends on the location and building, specifically the the building materials that might blocked much of the signal.

Try changing the Preferred network to 3G Only and see if it helps

Also, what kind of phone do you have , brand and mode?

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bucknekked hi there have been a lot of issues ,especially in the Ottowa area since the big storm try putting your phone in 3g mode contact customer service to get them to look into the issue, you will need to open a ticket, to speak to a customer service agent  Click here  or if you are having issues with Simon you can send private message to a CS Agent here: https://bit.ly/2GGCJzH

Need Help? Let's chat.