cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving through the eastern U.S.A.

3101fries
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can someone please assist me with the following.

I will be driving through the USA crossing at Montreal, PQ and crossing back to Canada at Houlton, ME tomorrow and returning the same way this Sunday. My current plan consists of the following.

15 GB Data at 4G Speed

Unlimited Canada - wide talk

Unlimited International text

On the add-on usage side it says the following Add-On Usage
2 GB
2GB one-time data bonus
2 GB left
As  well as
500 mins
500 one-time Int'l LD bonus
500 mins left
What will I require to use my GPS on my phone, receive and send texts as well as receive and make calls. The calls and text would be minimal if any at all but we want to make sure we are covered for emergencies. 
Thanks in advance
Larry
  • • 30-day plan
  • • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • • Unlimited International Text
  • • 30-day plan
  • • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • • Unlimited International Text   
8 REPLIES 8

CGO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM calls roaming in US very poor. You may try SMS, or local sim.

HI @3101fries   if you are going to get roaming, make sure you save offline map on Google map first, just in case you lost the conneciton

while data roaming is ok, I would suggest to get local prepaid US data instead.  it is more reliable and in case you have trouble, you can likely find a kiosk of that company and ask for support

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you must do live directions and traffic then yes you'd want some data for all those live updates. But Google Maps lets you download large areas and then you can refer to the map offline. With the GPS radio (location services) button on, it will show your location on that offline map. You can zoom in however close you like.

Talk is the crux of the problem. Text and data should be fine as long as you have T-Mobile cell coverage. T-Mobile offers their old 2G network for talk roaming. But coverage could easily be yet more limited.

Peter-AB

Thats a good question. Published data suggests that for Google Maps you would use  0.7 MB of data every 10 miles and about the same data every 20 minutes. If you are averaging 100 Km/h (on the high side and without stops!) you would use just over 6 MB per hour. With 500 MB you could drive for nearly 80 hours and travel 8000 km... much more than you are intending to travel. I've never considered this before but it's useful to know. Hope this helps. 

3101fries

Thanks

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@3101fries 

Yes, those should do the trick!

Just make sure that while in the USA, you turn on the roaming in your phone and choose T-Mobile as the network of choice.

3101fries

Thanks for the assistance,

So would the $15. US Roaming - Talk Text (10-day)

and the 

$15. US Roaming - 500 MB Data (10-day)

Be all I require.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@3101fries 

Sorry but none of your add ons, data and calling minutes won't work in the USA.

You'll have to buy  a USA add on, for text, calls and data if that's what you'll need.

Need Help? Let's chat.