cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does porting my Telus number to PM automatically cancel my Telus account?

northchild
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I just helped my mom get set up on public mobile. She had a contract with Telus which she had completed her commitment period with and therefor paid off her device.

Do we need to call Telus to cancel her account, or will it automatically be canceled by porting her number over?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

lspring
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There have been instance where even after porting the old carrier still has the number showing as unported. In that case you need to tell the old carrier that you have ported the number and no longer need the account with them.

The account would only be closed if it is the only service (only phone line) active on that Telus account.  Accounts can have multiple phone number attached to them at Telus Mobility.

Any service whose phone number is ported out automatically gets cancelled.  And, if it is the only phone line on that account, the account does eventually get closed out, but only after any outstanding invoices are issued and payments made.  You do not need to contact Telus to cancel the service after porting out.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

And of course, welcome to Public Mobile, @northchild's Mom!! 🙂

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@northchild wrote:

Hello,

I just helped my mom get set up on public mobile. She had a contract with Telus which she had completed her commitment period with and therefor paid off her device.

Do we need to call Telus to cancel her account, or will it automatically be canceled by porting her number over?

Thanks,

Porting will cancel her account automagically, no need to contact Telus. 🙂 It's one of those things that the CRTC has mandated on our behalf.

Link: Switch Providers and Keep your Number

A couple paragraphs down you'll even see:

"Most importantly, do not cancel your service before you switch to the new provider.Tell your new phone provider that you want to keep your number. They will take care of the transfer for you – they’ll ask for some personal details to set up your account and ask you which services you want to keep, remove or change."

Oh - first paragraph even says "You don’t even need to talk to your current provider!"

Note: Having some DNS problems so hopefully link above works properly

Need Help? Let's chat.