cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to close down old phone account once transferred to Public Mobile?

RobM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

An administrative question.

I'm successfully set up on Public Mobile, phone is working with new SIM card and old number transferred over. Set up was straightforward -- love it!

Is there anything I need to do with my old service provider to close down that account, or does that happen automatically now that the number was transferred to PM?

5 REPLIES 5

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Just to make it extra clear for other people reading this, yes indeed it happens automatically once the number is transferred.

Furthermore, you should NOT close the other account before transferring your number, or then you'll lose your number and won't be able to port it!

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It happens automatically.  

Hi. @RobM, when a Number is transferred, Account would automatically close, and no further action required. Another advice, BEFORE Transferring # to another carrier, Turn the Autopay feature OFF This way you can then be absolutely sure No Charges will be enacted on CC

RobM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Many thanks!

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@RobM wrote:

An administrative question.

I'm successfully set up on Public Mobile, phone is working with new SIM card and old number transferred over. Set up was straightforward -- love it!

Is there anything I need to do with my old service provider to close down that account, or does that happen automatically now that the number was transferred to PM?

@RobMHi Rob, welcome to public mobile. Glad to hear all is done and set up.

No they will close the account for you automatically. You never want to close the previous account yourself even if you think the transfer to be complete as sometimes your new account appears to be working but the port ends up getting stuck / failed and sent back to the previous carrier and if the account was closed, you may have just lost your number / the ability to put in a new port request. Always allow the process to do what it is supposed to, which is automatically close when the number has been successfully ported to the new carrier.

You might be expecting a refund if it was post paid. Once the account is closed, contact them and ask when they will be sending your refund cheque. (Unless it was pre-paid, then probably won't happen)

Need Help? Let's chat.