cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't enable Autopay, but it's on. Never received emails saying that I was charged for other months

j0001s
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up for the service for one month while I was on holiday in a place where my carrier doesn't have coverage.  Although I specifically didn't want autopay and was careful NOT to enable it (as I wasn't looking to use the service except for the month), somehow autopay was turned on.

Even if I had turned it on (and I didn't), I would have expected to have received an email indicating that my account had been charged.  I only noticed this when I saw my credit card statement, by which time another month had been charged.

I pulled my credit card from the account, so I should be good going forward.

Does Public Mobile not send out invoices or payment notices?  Do I have any recourse?  Is there ANYONE to talk to? 

Even though I'm sure that I didn't enable it, I would be less upset if I had received an invoice saying that I had paid, because I would have caught it.  I didn't even have the SIM card in my phone during those months.

11 REPLIES 11

@Anonymous wrote:

@tbark, @will13am, @mimmo: tbark interesting. I seem to remember learning about it afterwards and seeing oh it's on. I turned it off. Then I learned here from RobertQc having it on but just top-up and it won't hit the cc and you still get the autopay reward. So that's what I have now. We'll see if it does anything nasty on next renewal.

Auto pay is your friend.  It is never nasty.

I signed up by voucher on my first account.  Was no option to enable AutoPay.

AutoPay has always been optional since it became available.  It should not be enabled by default.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tbark, @will13am, @mimmo: tbark interesting. I seem to remember learning about it afterwards and seeing oh it's on. I turned it off. Then I learned here from RobertQc having it on but just top-up and it won't hit the cc and you still get the autopay reward. So that's what I have now. We'll see if it does anything nasty on next renewal.

tbark
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

On your account you click on Payment tab and select manage autopay and you can turn it off there.

j0001s
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sending a billing SMS doesn't do any good when the SIM card isn't in the phone.  As I stated in my OP, I was using this for one month during my vacation, after which the SIM card was removed and I was back to my regular carrier.

Because I was only using it for one month, I was being extra vigilent when I signed up specifically because I didn't want it to auto renew.  But I have no way of proving this from my side.

Thanks all for the contacts in the earlier posts.  I'll give them a try.

tbark

I set up my account about 2 weeks ago and I had to select Autopay. It was not on by default. You can always go to your account and turn it off if you do not want it on.

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous are you sure ? I always remember being asked to you want to enable auto pay. Have not activated a new account in a while so memory is a little foggy.  

I can't remember the exact words.  I thought it was written in the form of a notification, not a question.  Definitely, it's auto enabled by default.  It's easy to check.  If the $2 auto pay reward was given, it was enabled at the start.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous are you sure ? I always remember being asked to you want to enable auto pay. Have not activated a new account in a while so memory is a little foggy.  

EdmondY

That's interesting, but it might have defaulted to some option to enable autopay while adding your card.  You could ask the moderators by sending a private message to @CS_Agent by going here.  I heard they will typically adjust it for you by adding credit to your account but it's not guaranteed and generally considered a good will gesture only.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Pm will send an SMS stating your account is due.  No invoices or anything else is sent.

Not sure about your auto pay issue. In the end it will be your word vs system.  You might get some good will by asking.  

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Some good posts/reads:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-") to find some great posts and answers to many common questions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@j0001s wrote:

I signed up for the service for one month while I was on holiday in a place where my carrier doesn't have coverage.  Although I specifically didn't want autopay and was careful NOT to enable it (as I wasn't looking to use the service except for the month), somehow autopay was turned on.

Even if I had turned it on (and I didn't), I would have expected to have received an email indicating that my account had been charged.  I only noticed this when I saw my credit card statement, by which time another month had been charged.

I pulled my credit card from the account, so I should be good going forward.

Does Public Mobile not send out invoices or payment notices?  Do I have any recourse?  Is there ANYONE to talk to? 

Even though I'm sure that I didn't enable it, I would be less upset if I had received an invoice saying that I had paid, because I would have caught it.  I didn't even have the SIM card in my phone during those months.

If you initially start up paying by credit card then autopay is automatically turned on. You have to go about intentionally turning it off.

Need Help? Let's chat.