cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone else just get a text from Public Mobile telling me to switch to Koodo?

ellenyw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Very confused.

Just received a text from public mobile that is encouraging me to look at Koodo's new promotion of Canada wide talk and text and 4 GB LTE for $45 a month. Seems basically the same as what Public Mobile is offering. Why would they encourage me to switch over? 

31 REPLIES 31

leandrofontp1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi that is porbably spam

@ellenyw What plan did they offer to you?   Same as the original one.

ellenyw

Man they even called me today and seemed to know where I was located down to my closest Koodo store. Really strange and unwanted 😕 

lbeanforever

I got the same message, but I can't qualify for a cellphone in that way because of poor credit, so I am here to stay.

SIM-phony

@MajorPainage, unfortunately once you've been charged it's non-refundable. As laid out on the first page of the Service Terms.

20180624_173308.jpg

MajorPainage

What's reading the terms have to do with. The fact that you contact support before your renewal doesn't help because they take up to 24hrs to reply. Slowest support. 

@MajorPainage wrote:

Got a reply from support and got the typical we have your money now and no refunds so fu attitude . 

Of course. Did you even read the terms before going on prepaid?

MajorPainage

Got a reply from support and got the typical we have your money now and no refunds so fu attitude . 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@vanessapage wrote:

I didn't receive the offer, but ... didn't PM promise to never increase the rate? Does the Koodo offer also promise to keep the plan at $45/mo forever? Not worth the switch, imho.

@vanessapage please see my reply on your duplicate post over here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Text/m-p/248498#M29161

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

vanessapage

I didn't receive the offer, but ... didn't PM promise to never increase the rate? Does the Koodo offer also promise to keep the plan at $45/mo forever? Not worth the switch, imho.

MajorPainage

I got the same message and offer, andis better than the 90 day plan I have here so I intended to switch over.  My only problem is that 7 mins after I got the message, the charged me for a renewal fee for the next 90 days.

Will they refund the renewal payment or transfer to Koodo account?

Contacted mods but thought I would through the question out here incase someone has been through the same situation.

ellenyw

@CalvinW wrote:

I'm not on the previous Fall promo and got the text, but my offer is even cheaper. I'm currently paying $40 for 2GB LTE and Provincial calling. The Koodo offer was 4GB LTE and Canada Wide Calling for $40. I also get $100 in bill credits, which is really enticing. 

Whatt, that sounds like a much better deal haha, I would actually consider that one.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm not on the previous Fall promo and got the text, but my offer is even cheaper. I'm currently paying $40 for 2GB LTE and Provincial calling. The Koodo offer was 4GB LTE and Canada Wide Calling for $40. I also get $100 in bill credits, which is really enticing. 

mimmo

@ellenyw in your situation I would take a screenshot of your future dates plan as proof just in case.  

If worried you could always ask the mods to  make the plan change a day early than renewal.

srlawren

@ellenyw wrote:

@ShawnC13 thanks! I actually already set it up so that it will change automatically. Although to be honest, I've had trouble in the past where I would set it to change automatically but it would still bill me for my previous plan 😕 so I hope that doesn't happen again this time

@ellenyw the good news is that if you've at least tried, and it fails, you have a leg to stand on if the plan is no longer available at that time.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ellenyw

@Mr-Bump wrote:

I got a similar one but mine is $55 for 6gb at 4G. My current plan with PM is $50 for 6.5gb at 3G. Not sure I need the extra speed enough to justify the swap, but it is tempting.

Haha to be honest, I can't tell the difference from 3G and LTE so cheaper is always better for me. And with the great rewards that you get, even just from autopay alone reduces PM bills a lot! 

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@colhavenWe're still here!

@SD08I didn't migrate because I didn't need the extra data and PM is still cheaper with the rewards and stuff. I was tempted though just based on the uncertainty and rumors. The only thing that stopped me from porting one of my accounts was the insistence of one Koodo rep for an emergency contact phone number to do a credit check. What kind of possible emergency could happen during a credit check? I was scared.

ellenyw

@ShawnC13 thanks! I actually already set it up so that it will change automatically. Although to be honest, I've had trouble in the past where I would set it to change automatically but it would still bill me for my previous plan 😕 so I hope that doesn't happen again this time

Mr-Bump

I got a similar one but mine is $55 for 6gb at 4G. My current plan with PM is $50 for 6.5gb at 3G. Not sure I need the extra speed enough to justify the swap, but it is tempting.

SD08

@colhaven wrote:

Also, where are all the $40 Fall promo braggers. They've usually hijacked the post by now to remind us fledglings of how much of a great deal they have compared to the rest of us. 

@colhaven

There are still some of us remaining (myself included).  But I don't feel like bragging about it because Dave's infamous letter retracting the attempted price increase forewarns that it will come eventually, even if not so drastic as a $10 hike.  I've declined the migration offers because the various PM rewards still make this the better deal for me.

colhaven

I also received the targeted text even though my current account  has only been activated for a month. People are right that this plan doesn't seem as great a value when you compare the $40 4gb 3g promo PM is currently offering. If you have enough rewards it's not hard to get it down to $35 a month or less.

Keep the koodo switch over promos coming PM. Maybe I'll bite if the the offer was sweeter.

Also, where are all the $40 Fall promo braggers. They've usually hijacked the post by now to remind us fledglings of how much of a great deal they have compared to the rest of us. 

srlawren

@Psygineer wrote:

I did not get that offer, but I did get a similar one. I am on the $30 Canada-wide plan, and was offered almost the same plan but .5GB more data for $35 a month (plus the possibility of a low end phone for free). These kinds of texts are normal from Public Mobile. Public Mobile and Koodo are both owned by Telus.

@Psygineer just a small clarification:  getting a lower end phone "for free" isn't actually free; it's nothing up front but it would one a [either small or medium? probably small?] tab, with a monthly cost over top of the $35 until such time as the tab is paid off, then the monthly cost goes back to just the $35.  (+tax and any overages, roaming, add-ons, etc., of course)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I almost went with Koodo and then discovered the existence of Public Mobile and that it is part of Telus.

So I have a never used never activated Koodo SIM for sale if anyone wants to move to Koodo.

Koodo SIMs are free if you activate online now.  It is $30 if you go to a physical store.  This brings up an interesting point about value.  Public Mobile used to give out free SIM cards and now Koodo is one giving them out free with online activation.  Maybe it is time for Public Mobile to come up with a similar shtick for online activation as well.  I know they throw in free SIM cards for certain plans activated at Walmart.  This Koodo activation deal is universal. 

Well rats. So much for trying to sell something that I don't need.

What I had understood was that you pay the $20 (I paid $20 anyway) for the Koodo prepaid SIM and then upon activating you get it back. I had thought that if someone bought my unused SIM that they would pocket $5 with my asking $15.

Man these companies changing and fiddling things all the time.

@Anonymous wrote:

I almost went with Koodo and then discovered the existence of Public Mobile and that it is part of Telus.

So I have a never used never activated Koodo SIM for sale if anyone wants to move to Koodo.

Koodo SIMs are free if you activate online now.  It is $30 if you go to a physical store.  This brings up an interesting point about value.  Public Mobile used to give out free SIM cards and now Koodo is one giving them out free with online activation.  Maybe it is time for Public Mobile to come up with a similar shtick for online activation as well.  I know they throw in free SIM cards for certain plans activated at Walmart.  This Koodo activation deal is universal. 

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I did not get that offer, but I did get a similar one. I am on the $30 Canada-wide plan, and was offered almost the same plan but .5GB more data for $35 a month (plus the possibility of a low end phone for free). These kinds of texts are normal from Public Mobile. Public Mobile and Koodo are both owned by Telus.

@ellenyw wrote:

I have a provincial talk and text + 12GB 3G 90 day plan but I plan on switching over to the new $40/4GB plan when my 90 days is up. The promo that PM is offering seems better than the Koodo one in so many ways, unless you want a new phone.

PM comes with so many rewards that help reduce the monthly cost by a lot!

I always say there is no one size fit all solution.  The Koodo migration plans are not the panacea for many.  We are free to take the offer or stay.  Choose what is best for yourself and enjoy the decision.  BTW, by staying put we are sending a message to those devising the migration plans that offers which closely match what is available here don't really cut it.  The brand may be lower tier than Koodo, but the value is not.  People need demonstrably better offers in order to take the bait. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ellenyw wrote:

I have a provincial talk and text + 12GB 3G 90 day plan but I plan on switching over to the new $40/4GB plan when my 90 days is up. The promo that PM is offering seems better than the Koodo one in so many ways, unless you want a new phone.

Very true.  I think this might be the first time I have seen them target the 3G plans.  What is the cost of your current plan?  Also if you are planning on changing to the promo plan I would go into your selfserve account and future date your plan change now just so you don't miss out and on your next renewal it is done automatically

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ellenyw

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ellenyw wrote:

Very confused.

Just received a text from public mobile that is encouraging me to look at Koodo's new promotion of Canada wide talk and text and 4 GB LTE for $45 a month. Seems basically the same as what Public Mobile is offering. Why would they encourage me to switch over? 

There have been many migration offers that target certain PM plans.  What plan do you currently have with PM?  This offer might be a bit more data and Canada wide calling for the same price.  Also have access to call centres and the ability to purchase phones through the Koodo Tab program

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.