cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Degraded data

ssilva
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_Agent I'm on a 8Gb "3G" data plan with 2Gb of US data. I've had this plan since late 2019.

The data speeds used to be a consistent 3Mbps down/up, but as of late (maybe 3 months ago), my speeds are <600kbps download, while upload is still the usual 3Mbps. I do speed tests almost daily, usually after I have issues loading a basic webpage.

Since data is only throttled on the LTE network, I find myself switching to 3G networks, and when I do it, I get 20+Mbps, regardless of the time of day.

On the 4G network, I have trouble loading websites most of the time, often needing to refresh the page to get the website to load.

Is this a provisioning issue with my SIM? It's becoming very frustrating, and I've tried this SIM in four different phones, all having the same problem.

9 REPLIES 9

ssilva

Hi and thank you for the suggestion. I have used the SIMon chatbot a couple of times, but it kept directing me to the forum to ask questions. I've just sent a PM to @@CS_agent, per @HALIMACS suggestion in a previous reply. Thank you to you both. I'll let you know (and will post here) what happens.

@ssilva I guess you have done enough tests and all confirm it is not a device issue.  I would think it is an account problem, please open ticket with PM support , share your findings and ask them to reprovision your sim/account and investigate further

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (requires access to My Account) using direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Contact agent ", then click "Contact Us", then click "Other", click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗""
Next, enter your Community login, then enter your question.  Finally use My Account login or 4 digits PIN to validate.

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

ssilva

I've tried this SIM in 4 phones (after the issue started), all with the same result.

Pixel 7 Pro (current phone)

Pixel 7

Huawei P30 Pro (used this SIM in that phone from Jan 2019 to Dec 2022)

LG G6

In February of this year I drove from BC to ON. I must have done 10 speed tests in those 3 days of driving, as i was constantly having issues even though the signal appeared to be great. That's probably when I first noticed the issue. 

ssilva

Yes, I switch to 3G lately if I need to download anything more than a few MB in size. I never previously had issues with this plan. The 3Mb download speed worked well for me, but I basically do speed tests daily now, to confirm this isn't a congestion issue. The speeds are consistently 0.6Mbps down/3Mbps up.

When I'm in the US (about once every two weeks) I don't have this problem. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@softech - OP said they tried their SIM in 4 different phones and same issue. 🙂

@ssilva have you tried what @Kay2du tried? Forcing to 3G only? See if that makes a difference.

You have been in Canada using the service for the past 3 months like this? Is this plan that includes Canada and USA services, grandfathered 'snowbird' plan? Wonder if there is something connected to this plan that is changing in the 'background'?

@Kay2du wrote:

Yeah, my data speed dropped significantly when I switched to a 3G package. I had to switch my network preference to 3G only and the speed more than tripled!

HI @Kay2du   this is normal if you have a 3G  plan

with 3G  plan, your LTE connection is throttled to 3Mbps but it gives you full 3G speed if you change the network to 3G

But if you have a 4G LTE plan, than it shouldn't 

Kay2du
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yeah, my data speed dropped significantly when I switched to a 3G package. I had to switch my network preference to 3G only and the speed more than tripled!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ssilva   if you have another phone around, try to put your PM sim card there and test it out on the other device.  This could force a re-provision and could resolve your issue

Also, you can also try to click Reset all networks on your device.  (Please note this will also deleted all yoru saved Wifi connections, but you just need to add them back)

And try using LTE on different area, this could also be a local network issue only

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Definitely could be a simple reprovision of the Sim/account, which the customer support staff can do for you.

Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Need Help? Let's chat.