cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define "limited time" for a Virgin

betito
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

FWIW, Virgin (et al) are pulling the same stunts regarding "new users". They have jacked up their rates over the years, and now they offer deals only to new subscribers. That's why I'm looking around here, but don't want the same treatment. What I'm most concerned about is after the 'limited time' is up, what will happen to the low low price? Virgin kept sneaking theirs up to the point that I am paying over 50% more than when I joined them, say 5 years ago. I'm referring to the $29 Boxing Day offer, I just wonder if that's just a teaser and once they have you, it's deja vu all over again. I see 90 days referred to in the details, but not sure what happens after that. Do you pay for 90 days, or does your data expire after 90 days, or can they raise their rates every 90 days or what? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

@betito   You can either sign up for PM with a temporary number, or initiate the port during activation.   Your Virgin account needs to be active and the Virgin sim still in the phone so that they can send you a text asking permission to release your number to PM to which you reply YES.   I set up a PM number on an older phone to test PM for a while before porting my previous provider's number to my new phone.  Once I decided to port it was pretty quick, I would say less than an hour.  It can take longer but often that's when porting from landlines or, I believe, voip numbers.  Adding - forgot to say no activation fee.

betito
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good anwer, thank you very much. I contacted Virgin to give them one last chance to do the right thing and ... well I'm definitely switching. So a followup question:

I'll be porting the #, which as I understand it entails a transition period?  I guess I'm asking whether the # switches instantaneously or is a temporary interim # involved? And does PM charge an activation fee and if so how much? Thanks.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@betito   The 90 day plans give all the data up front to last the 90 days and you pay for the 90 days up front also.  But there is only one with the 90 day option at the moment and that is the Canada/US plan.  One needs to be careful looking at the "offer details" to match up the numbers of the notes with the numbers on the advertised plan.  You can always sign up for a 30 day plan and then if another comes along that has 90 days and is preferred you can select to change to that on next renewal.  I've been here over a year and never had a price increase, in fact it has gone down quite a bit by taking advantage of new plan offers.  If you don't change plan it would typically renew at the same price each 30 (or 90 if applicable) days.

Thanako
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The "Limited Time" referred to here on the Boxing Day deals are for the plans themselves.. These deals are only around for promotional periods and not offered all the time.  So once they are gone, you can no longer get those rate plans any more. Once you are on that plan, I don't believe that there's any intention to change the price. I haven't fully read all of the Terms and Conditions, but I don't believe they do that here at PM. Some of these offers here for Boxing Day, are really great compared to their non sale prices.

As for the 90 Day plan, that's just a rate plan that you pay for 90 days worth, instead of the other plans which are standard 30 Day plans.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@betito  Generally once you choose a plan your locked in to it until you decide to change plans or leave PM . And most plans are 30 days unless otherwise advertised in plan  description of 90 day variant . And yes PM has new activation only plans . But some existing customers have confirmed getting the new activation only plans by contacting support and asking for them . Also note . That it very rare for PM to up the price of a plan and I only know of one time they did years ago . That PM like all carriers reserve the right to change price of a plan . 

adding and with 90 day plans yes you pay for the 90 days upfront and get x3 the data to use over the 90 days . And pay again for 90 days once your 90 days is up on renewal day 

this is 90 day example

Handy1_0-1704739864100.png

pay $65 for 30 days with  60GB or opt in for 90 days and pay $180 for 180GB to use over 90 day 

and if you want 90 day plan @betito  be sure to select 90 day option 

Handy1_0-1704740053214.png

Need Help? Let's chat.