cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

Kentbrophy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just started with public mobile. I got a notification that I used 70% of my data already. When I checked I discovered I wasn't connected to the wifi. Can I change notifications and receive 1 at 50% just in case it happens again? Also can I buy extra data just to get me through this month

22 REPLIES 22

@brettster99 there has been no set date for it to end at this point. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naepalm 

Do you or anyone else know the exact date that the sale for half price 1GB is going away? I know it is a limited time but in case anyone else wants's to know.

@Kentbrophy 

To my knowledge, there is no way to set it at 50% other then downloading an app (like I did for my iPhone) If you need any extra data its half price at $15 for 1GB. But like everyone else has said if you are constantly running out then a higher data plan would help you out 

@will13am hahahaha probably is the huawei spying on us. lol 

@mimmo lol good idea. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am working well on my p20 , maybe you are right.  Lets start with factory reset, without backing up,  Then clear data, reboot phone, possibly a faulty sim, take it out wait 5 mins then insert,  contact mods for a replacement.  🙂 

@Naepalm  joking to all the above, of course.  Time to split this topic to the lounge 🙂

@Naepalm wrote:

@mimmo @will13am just a note, it says my sim is not compatible lol. Wonder if its an older app thats not updated. May have toncontact the developer @Kentbrophy if it shows you this message. 

It is an older app, but has worked for me to this day even on android 10.  There are two editions of the app.  Data witness PM is free for those on the Public Mobile service.  Data witness is a paid app for use on any service.  My sense is something is wrong with your phone.  Must be that hacked Huawei firmware getting in the way.  

@mimmo  I use it and it's pretty accurate there is a small discrepancy but works well for my needs.

@mimmo Bhahahah 

Screenshot_20200509_114315.jpg

 oh well I may be able to get in contact with him LOL 

mimmo

@Naepalm it works on my phone. Are you sure you are with public mobile 🙂 lol

@geopublic the only problem with built in data tracking is they do monthly cycles, not 30 or 90 (for older plans) days.  

@IWIK may have to private message me lol 

@mimmo @will13am just a note, it says my sim is not compatible lol. Wonder if its an older app thats not updated. May have toncontact the developer @Kentbrophy if it shows you this message. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Kentbrophy  The best way to setup alerts is to use your phone's built-in data usage app. Just change the date to match your plan's start date and set your alert.

A good idea is  also to purchase a couple of 1GB data add-ons to as backup just in case you run out of your plan data.

As mentioned data add-ons don't expire and stay on your account until all used up.

mimmo

@Naepalm  all thanks should go to @IWIK  he developed the app and made it free for pm users

@will13am @mimmo thanks for that I have downloaded it 🙂 Ill put it on my wifes phone now too.. 

Screenshot_20200509_111632.jpg

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Kentbrophy , if your phone runs on android, I highly recommend installing data witness PM.  It is an app constructed by a Public Mobile user specifically designed around the 30/90 day cycle that is unique to this service.  You can customize notifications in the app.  Sorry, I don't know any equivalent option for iOS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Kentbrophy 

This is something you can set on your phone. Go into your settings, depending on what phone you have it should be under data or wireless settings. Your phone will send you an alert. You can even set it so your phone turns your data off completely.

You just started and you have already used your data? What plan dis you sign up for and how many days do you have left. You may want to change your plan  but that will cost you a full pop of a new plan. or add data. but if you have to add more then 3 data add on - 15.00 ea. It's better to just change to a higher plan. 

let us know what you decide. Its always good to have feedback.

cheers

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!

mimmo

@Kentbrophy  you should set up data alerts on your phone, if you use android install an app called data witness pm, made by a community member.

Also what plan are you on. Sometimes is more economical to renew a plan early (once data runs out) rather than buying the 1gb add-on.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Sorry @Kentbrophy  the default notifications are at 75 and 95%. You can set a 50% data usage warning on your phone itself. You can either buy a 200mb for $10 or 1 to hi for $15 addon. The add ons stay on your account until used up. Here's an article on buying add ons. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

It's a 2 step process, add the funds than buy the addon. See screenshot below on where to do it 

20200417_204130.jpg

Welcome to PM.  Stay safe. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kentbrophy You cant change notifications to notify that. I usually dont rely on those txt messages. You can monitor your data usage through settings and set limits or data warnings on your phone. I find those work better than the txt messages. As for buying extra data you can call *611 and buy a data addon or you could do it yourself in self serve. Buying data addons are a 2 step process. You first have to add the funds to your account then purchase the addon.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Kentbrophy 

The data warnings are standard and can't be changed.

You can buy a data add on.  1 GB for $15 (sale price).  Unused portion of data will roll over to next month.  Regular price is 1 GB for $30.  Other option is to change plans immediately to another data plan (warning:  PM does not prorate plans) or contact moderator to renew your same plan earlier.  

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

You can buy 1 GB for $15 as an add on in self service.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-data-usage/ta-p/152760

Data Usage Notifications

Public Mobile will notify you via text message when you're close to using all of the data included in your rate plan.  Data notifications indicate how much of your included plan data you have used, so you know when you’re approaching your limit. The default data notifications are set at 75%, 95% and 100% consumption of your data allotments.

Find out more about data notifications on our Community!

Need Help? Let's chat.