cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

Jlop11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey i’m totally confused as to what’s going on with my data usage. I’ve been with public mobile for a number of years and I’ve use probably 1 to 2 MB of data daily and in the past two days I’ve used 899 MB and 599 MB. three weeks into my cycle I just received notification that I’ve used 75% of my data which I’ve never done. What’s going on here?

12 REPLIES 12

John_G1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks. I was wondering if it was a daily total. It's still weirdly high, though, given that i rarely use mobile data. Most of my data usage is within range of my home wi-fi.

@John_G1  the 40MB around midnight does not really mean you really used the data at that particular time

PM does not update the data usage constantly.  In fact, it only update it twice a day. 

So, any entry you see is just a total usage between that timestamp and the timestamp of the previous entry.  The early morning usage  you see on the Usage log does not mean it was used in the morning but a total usage for the last 12 hours.

Also, for correct usage reading, always use Incognito mode to login My Account to avoid reading cached old info

John_G1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am having a similar problem. I have a ton of data (40 MB or so) showing up at just after midnight, when I am (a) NOT using my phone and (b) in any event, connected to my home Wi-Fi so not relying on my mobile data. This has been going on for a while, and I am running up against my 1GB limit, which never used to happen. What's up?

Jlop11

Thank you everyone!. Will monitor a little closer what my usage is. 

Jlop11

I read it incorrectly. Here’s an example. When I racked up all the data usage was two days that I was  playing music on Alexa but that’s  Wi-Fi I thought so I’m not sure. as you can tell I’m not tech savvy. Lol. 

4DBD025A-1AF6-469B-BFA0-3FB9D508A3E0.jpeg

 I do think 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

How do your get away with 1-2MB a day? Do you turn data off? That's probably one web page.

@Jlop11 

FYI

Streaming audio on Alexa is worst case 256Kbps. That come out to just over 100MB per hour. That means you would need 10 hours of music and commands to get to a single GB

@Jlop11   possible.  if you have wifi turn off, music streaming also consume data

While iphone cnanot trace data backward, you can trace data usage after you reset a statistics.   Maybe you can reset it today and then track it from today and try to reset statistics it every new PM cycle

To reset mobile data statistics

go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics

iPhone-MobileData.jpg

Jlop11

Ok. Wifi assist turned off. I just noticed the data usage dates were Friday and Saturday. Is it possible the data usage could’ve come from music playing on my Alexa? I always play music on my Alexa but I’m just wondering if I did something different.

@Jlop11  unfortunately iPhone has no way to trace the usage before:(

any chance it used the data for OS date or app update? or data backup to icloud?  or some big iMessage download (media files)?

Also, make sure Wifi Assist is turned off

Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist

Jlop11

I’m not using an android. What could I be doing to cause that much unusual data usage?  Never happen before. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jlop11   PM data tracking usually is quiet accurate.

any chance you are using Android, ?  if so, you can go to your Mobile data usage page on the phone and change the billing start date (Start billing cycle on) and trace the amount of data you used and which app used the data

E-MobileData.png

Need Help? Let's chat.