Hello, I'm not sure what happened, but I got a text from PM saying I was at 75 percent of data (ie 3 GB out of 4) for the month, and then suddenly I was at 95% and now I'm out of data for the month.
My Android tracker isn't showing anything close to that and I don't know how it would have been possible for a gigabyte of data to get consumed that quickly. I mean, I know PM data speeds are fast but they're not THAT fast.
Logging on to the PM self serve, I see that it's registering nearly the 4gb being used but there is no graph or breakdown provided.
In any event, I'm wondering if this was some kind of glitch on PM's end. If PM takes the position that it is not, I'd like to see a breakdown of when this last GB of data was suddenly used up and for what purpose, because this makes no sense to me.
Thanks in advance!
Wow, sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't expect so many repiles from the community.
I sent a PM to PM (heh) and they responded that I had indeed used that amount of data. I actually lied when I said it was "seconds" later - it was actually seven minutes later.
My phone tracker still shows nothing close to that amount of data being used in that amount of time, but PM is taking the position that I did, so I don't really have much option other than to take their word for it at this point. I ended up purchasing a data add-on.
What I *suspect* happened, given that I was tethering at the time, was that Windows may have tried to download an update or something like that (I haven't got a notification on my PC to that effect, but I'll look into it). I had set the hotspot as a metered connection on Windows originally, but I landed up changing the ESSID of the access point, so Windows no longer had it set as a metered connection.
In any event, I *still* don't know why my phone isn't showing a spike in data usage. Generally my phone breaks down how much data is being used per app or service, including tethering services. Anyway I guess this will just be a mystery. I think my theory about Windows downloading its millionth update in like a week, as per usual, is probably pretty likely. I *hate* how newer versions of Windows just silently download updates without telling me, but that's another story for another day.
I disagree, PM's tracker may be the official tracker but it is far from accurate. When using around the first 50MB of the data in your plan, there is quite a bit of fluctuation. It is couple of MB higher on one day and lower another, it doesn't settle down until you use more of your data.
something like this happened to me a long time ago. My phone did a firmware/security update over data and not wifi. and i did not rememer actually saying yes to the update. Not saying that is what happened to you but... something similar coudl have happened (updateng apps or something.
Thank you for reaching out to us. I'll be glad to help you with your data usage concern.
At first, please understand that phones are unable to track accurately the used data amount and only our systems are supposed to do it.
For further investigation into your account, you need to send us a Private message.