cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage overnight

Sam871
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why am I seeing consistent data usage overnight when I’m not using the phone and am at home with my wifi

4 REPLIES 4

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Sam871 PM usually only show 2 lines of data per day. So, the data you see at midnight is the total data used in the last couple hours, not a live record of data used

@Sam871 

The Self Serve accout doesn't indicafe af what time data was used. It's a summary of half of a day's usage.

willst
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Could be a few options.

Hope any of this helps, but some may be obvious

1. Weak Wi-Fi signal: If your Wi-Fi signal is weak or intermittent, your phone may switch to mobile data to maintain a stable internet connection. This can happen if you're far away from your Wi-Fi router or if there are obstacles blocking the signal.

2. Wi-Fi disconnects during sleep mode: Some smartphones have a feature that automatically disconnects from Wi-Fi when the device is in sleep mode to conserve battery. If this setting is enabled on your phone, it will switch to mobile data when the screen is off, even if you're connected to Wi-Fi.

3. Background app activity: Certain apps on your phone may continue to use data in the background, even when you're not actively using them. These could be apps that sync data, check for updates, or download content while running in the background.

4. Wi-Fi assist feature: Some phones have a feature called "Wi-Fi Assist" that automatically switches to mobile data when the Wi-Fi connection is weak or unstable. This is intended to provide a smoother internet experience, but it can result in data usage when you expect to be using Wi-Fi.

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try the following steps:

• Check your Wi-Fi signal strength and move closer to the router if necessary.
  • Disable the "Wi-Fi disconnect during sleep" option in your phone's settings, if applicable.
  • Review your app settings and restrict background data usage for apps that you don't need to access data when you're not actively using them.
  • Disable the "Wi-Fi Assist" feature, if available, in your phone's settings.
  • Monitor your data usage closely to identify any specific apps or patterns that might be causing the issue.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Check under Cellular data on your phone for a list of apps using data. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.