cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

erica_he
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just joined public mobile’s monthly plan with 500MB data and extra 500MB with autopay, with my existing phone# ported over from Freedom mobile. I am currently not able to Whatsapp (use internet) with my data. In my phone setting, its showing mobile network is with public mobile. But there’s no internet connection in my phone.  Would you please help?

14 REPLIES 14

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Adding ,mms (comma mms and no spaces) after default will allow picture texts (MMS).

erica_he

I changed the APN type to ‘Default’ only and it works. I have data now😊 Thank you so much for your help!

my phone is Sony Xperia XA2 model

@erica_he   try to change the APN type to :

default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

And what brand/model is your phone?  If yours is a LG, you might want to Refresh Network settings.  

If still still fails, then you might even need to Factory Reset your phone as well.

erica_he

Screenshot_20220418-213540.png

Screenshot_20220418-213556.png

Screenshot_20220418-213637.png

Screenshot_20220418-213648.png

 Hello,

Above screenshots are the APN setting I have on my phone. Do you notice any errors? Thanks 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you give images of the APN settings? Maybe an error can be spotted or a different variation suggested.

erica_he

Hi,

I can't access to internet, it's showing there's no data connection. My PM account has 1G data available.

erica_he

Hi HALIMACS,

I set the preferred network type to LTE, and manually selected LTE setting. there's only LTE or 3G to choose from, no 4G setting. I tried all the normal steps, set up new APN, rebooted and reset network, still not working. 

erica_he

Hi,

My data is turned on. the APN wasn't set up. I had to add a new APN setting, but it's still not working. 

erica_he

Thank you for your message.

My mobile network was turned on. my model is Sony Xperia XA2 H3123. I did the factory reset as you recommended, rebooted my phone after. Initially, the APN was not set up, with a message says " APN settings are not available for this user" from the APN setting page.  

I had to add a new APN setting (after factory reset) by following the instruction on ‘Public mobile APN settings for mobile phones & tablets” from the link you sent. I couldn’t follow the "customized Public mobile APN setting", as my cell model is not on the list.

I notice on my APN setting page, ‘APN enable/disable’ area is showing APN enabled with the dot icon on the right greyed out, however from the instruction, it's showing the green check mark symbol. not sure if it's related to my connection issue currently facing. There's still no data connection, wondering if my model is compatible with public mobile network.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@erica_he 

Under your device's network connections, try manually selecting "3G ONLY" if the option exists.

Some users have found more reliable data service under this vs the LTE/4G setting.

Of course, the normal stuff (APN setting, Data toggled on, reboot device, reset network connections) should be tried first.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Can you access anything on Internet? I assume data is on. Turn off WiFi while troubleshooting connection.

Check your PM account to confirm you Do have data available.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@erica_he  - are you able to browse the internet otherwise?

So, when you are not in a wifi zone, and you turn on your data in the setting of your device, can you load other websites?

If so, than this sounds like a whatsapp specific issue. Try uninstalling the app, then reinstalling it.

If you just ported, it could also just be a delay with the whatsapp service/server on your new account. Give it a few more days if uninstalling a readding the app doesn't work.

edit, typo

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Are you able to edit the APN settings? Improperly set APN is likely the problem. Or is your data turned on?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@erica_he   reboot your phone once

Then check if your Mobile network is turned on

Also check your APN or Carrier profile (depends if you are Android or iOS)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-iphone

but what model and brand is your phone?  So phone might need a network reset or factory reset after changing carrier

Need Help? Let's chat.