cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data mysteriously getting used in middle of the night

kelleyviolets
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone has talk and text with a very small amount of data for emergencies. All of the apps are set to not use cellular data and only work with wifi. This has worked beautifully for about 2 years. About 3 weeks ago, my phone started mysteriously using small amounts of data every night in the middle of the night. It's often at regular intervals, i.e. 12:34 am and 1:34 am. The phone is not being used. It slowly drains the data so there is none left mid-month. What could be causing this? I've checked all my settings, and only "Find My" and "Maps" are set to use data. 

5 REPLIES 5

@kelleyviolets wrote:

Thanks for your quick response! that would make sense ... but then why was it not happening for almost 2 years and just started 3 weeks ago? What could have changed that suddenly bits of data are being used throughout the day and not before?

HI@kelleyviolets   again,  this is normal.  The time PM posts the data varies.  Many got it around midnight, I am more random, but still usually twice or three times a day.

bayard0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

put your phone in data saver mode and see if that helps with the drain

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I have opposite experience; up to few months ago (or longer) I have seen few KB used during the night but that reset next day. Explanation was that PM needs those few KB/MB for whatever reason and they give it back.

Now I do not see ANY usage during the night. Zero. But then, I turn off my phone during night.

Not all apps respect removing background usage. Particularly those tied up with OS and/or manufacturer.

kelleyviolets
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for your quick response! that would make sense ... but then why was it not happening for almost 2 years and just started 3 weeks ago? What could have changed that suddenly bits of data are being used throughout the day and not before?

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@kelleyviolets hi what you are seeing is normal , it is the time of day that public totals your  data usage for the day 

Need Help? Let's chat.