cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

JimFawson1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on a $25 plan with 1024mb of available data. I am not a big data user but keep getting messages that I have used up most or all of my data. Upon looking at my account information, I find that there are many entries saying that I have used over 100mb of data usually just after midnight on many days. At that rate, it would not take too many days for me to be out of data. Since I work 7 days per week, I am always in bed and asleep around the midnight hour. So how is my data being used after midnight when I am asleep? Is this a Public Mobile thing that is happening? Once I went ahead and bought an extra Gb of data just to keep my phone working. Now I am thinking that this extreme data consumption is not my fault. If this is some kind of scam to get me to either buy more data or choose a more expensive plan, I will be looking elsewhere for phone services.

7 REPLIES 7

I think you're unnecessarily wasting your money. If you don't use data intentionally then why pay for it?

If you're using an iphone then in the imessage settings, turn on send as sms and send as mms and then turn off imessage. That way you'll be using the imessage app as a standard texting app. It otherwise wants to use the internet for its built-in old timey instant messaging method of typing at people (not texting per se).

Then turn off cellular data. When you wish to send and receive an mms (picture text) then you turn on cellular data, get/send the picture, then turn off cellular data again.

Then you can just use your phone as a phone, as a phone, as a phone and not worry or think about being more telephoneically capable.

Let us know if you're not using an iphone. You can turn off cellular/mobile data on any phone. Let us know what make and model phone you're using.

JimFawson1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have received 5 responses to my inquiry. All replies are interesting and very helpful. I think that my problem is that I am not a savvy phone user. I use my phone for a phone, for a phone, for a phone. Any data consumption is usually happening in the background and I don't even realize that it is happening. This past week, to keep my phone working, I purchased an extra Gb of data for $15.00. Shortly after doing that, I changed my plan to a $35.00/month plan which gives me two more Gb of data as opposed to the $25.00 plan. The economics make sense to me ie: I get two extra Gb per month on a $35.00 plan (that's $10.00 more) rather than paying $15.00 for one extra Gb when my data gets low. However, I do understand the concept of 'turning your data off'. The simple answer to that is that I didn't know you could do that or even how to do it!!! Back to the beginning, I use my phone for a phone, for a phone, for a phone. All the rest of the stuff people do with phones is like black magic to me. I'll see how this new plan works for me and I will attempt to be more telephoneically capable. Thanks to all for their help.

Lehaha
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try always turn your data off unless you need to use it when there is no wifi, see if this makes different 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you never turn off your phone off and data is always on expect many apps to contact Internet for all kind updates.

My plan has only 250MB and I see usage ONLY when I turn data on and do whatever I have to do. Never midnight unexpected usage. But hen at that time my phone is off and of course data is off.

PM does NOT use nor abuse your data allowance.

1024MB is a small amount of data. In the Self Serve usage history, the data amounts are listed in lump amounts.  It doesn't mean that the usage occured at that time.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@JimFawson1 hi it is no scam,what you are seeing is when Public accumaltes all the data usage for the day,it is usually done in the wee hours of the morning 

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Public Mobile reconciles your data usage to your account twice a day. It isn't used at that time. It's not that unusual for carriers to do that. Did you use your data while you were awake? Do you have your phone set to permit updates over data? Check your email or websites without ensuring your wifi is connected (if you have that)? Lots of things can use small amounts of data. I am on the same plan as you, and typically my usuage is around 3-5mb a month with the phantom data usage. Nothing I am worried about. I leave my data turned off unless I need it for sending/receiving an image message or accessing a store app at a place that does not have working/public wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.