cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Text Message not received

dbalasingham
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I usually receive a message about my data usage when I use 75% of my data for the month, however this month I only received the message once I hit 95% usage. I accidentally was off wifi and used up all my data in 3 days. I was wondering why I did not receive the text at 75% and only received it at 95% when it was too late. I had to purchase a 1GB add-on in order to have some data when I need to leave the house.

How can I ensure that I receive all the data usage notifications?

16 REPLIES 16

dbalasingham
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That's unfortunate. I'm not sure why they offer the service if it's not accurate or consistent. Anyways, I will be more careful in the future. I don't think logging into my account every day to check my usage is very practical as others have recommended, but you make a good suggestion about my phone data usage settings.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

In fact one of those apps was made by an ex customer of this place...Data Witness PM. IWIK. He hasn't been here for 4 years though.

@dbalasingham

don't trust the advise "those app to track no good."

In fact, @esjliv  has given you some solid choices for data tacking app.   Nothing better than tracking the usage on the device itself.  The beauty of both apps mentioned is that they can reset the usage every 30 days like PM

@Remember wrote:

off course you didn't making app.

What does this mean @Remember ? 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dbalasingham 

I wouldn't rely on public mobiles data usage text to help monitor your data usage. I have never received one so I have no idea what they look like or how are accurate they are. But they are often sent out in error.

While your plan data counter in the self serve account is very accurate and an app can help you track your usage it doesn't necessarily prevent you from running out of data due to an app that's going crazy or accidentally disconnecting from Wi-Fi.

It's also important to keep in mind that data usage text from public mobile are sent out based on all of the data you have on your account so that would also include any add-on data you've purchased, any bonus data add ons or promotional data add-ons.

I have very little or no plan data on both my accounts. But I have been here long enough to have a lot of add-on data. However I do try to only use my plan data each 30 days. And I've only used about 1 GB of add-on data on each account in 3 years.

It would be a very expensive lesson for me to be in your position right now as that would be about a $400 mistake. To prevent this from ever happening I set my data tracker with the correct dates after renewal for my 30-day cycle. I then set my data warning at 25% of my plan data and my data limiter at 50% of my plan data.

I then increase these values once I hit my data limit to 75% and 95% respectively. When my data stops at 95%, that's when I decide what to set my limits at for usage of my add-on data. Usually at most that would be another 100 MB for my warning and maybe 200 MB total for my limiter.

Although that's unusual that I would even hit those amounts. I think I previously worked out that on average I may use 30 MB more per 30 days.

Figuring out reasonable limits for your data usage and implementing them by using your data saving tools in your phone will help ensure that this never happens again.

Remember
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@esjliv 

on samsung as well.

off course you didn't making app.

@Remember wrote:

@esjliv 

i'm not used iphone, i have sony android system.

Don't know why they don't work well for you @Remember.

Remember

@esjliv 

i'm not used iphone, i have sony android system.

@Remember wrote:

@esjliv 

for both not track right

Works for my needs @Remember , but thanks anyway. 🙂

I thought you were an iphone user anyhow. Have you used either of these android apps personally?

Remember

@esjliv 

for both not track right

@Remember wrote:

@esjliv 

those app to track no good.

Oh yeah @Remember which app are you referring to?

I have Data Witness on more than one plan running and no issues or complaints on that one.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately the PM texts are hit or miss, sometimes they come like clockwork, sometimes one or both don't come through at all and you only find out because data isn't available and sometimes you receive them when you have hardly used any data at all and definitely not 75% plus - prob best to be vigilant in staying on top of that stuff yourself via your phone data usage settings, etc.

Remember

@esjliv 

those app to track no good.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dbalasingham - did this notification come from 611/public mobile or your device itself? Phones can be set up in the settings to warn you when they reach certain limits of data usage. But, often the phone dates are not set the same as the plan start and end date.

Your My Account should be the most accurate remaining of data in your plan. Best to access My Account through an incognito tab as to not have any cache issues of your account..finicky thing this My Account.

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data counter widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dbalasingham hi you can't depend on getting the texts on time you need to check on your phone or in your self serve every few days 

Remember

@dbalasingham 

you need to login or call 611 to check data usage,

for sms not get,open a ticket with PM CS_Agent. at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

type: Contact Us and Other 
Finally Click here to submit a ticket
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

If you have error submitting a ticket, send a private message to the CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

check inbox(top right corner envelope icon) for response from CS_Agent.

Need Help? Let's chat.