cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Meter Accuracy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I went into my account this morning to see whether the latest round of community rewards have been awarded yet.  To no surprise, payments have been made.  I digress.  While in the account, I decided to check the data meter for agreement with usage metering on the phone, not that I have concerns about its accuracy but just to give a data point to those who complain that if it way off.  On my phone, the stock android data meter (essential phone running Oreo 8.1, May 5 security patch) shows 1.32 gigs.  On the data witness app, 1253.9 Mbytes.  On the overview page of the account, 1256.0 Mbytes.  I would say that everything looks good.  For those using android phones, I highly recommend installing the data witness app, free for Public Mobile customers.  It is specifically designed for 30/90 day renewal cycles and as you can see it has very good agreement with the official data meter.  Kudos to @IWIK for a job well done!

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

For anyone wanting to try Data Witness by @IWIK, please make sure you pick the "Data Witness PM (Beta)" on PlayStore, as it's offered for free by @IWIK for PM customers.  The non-PM version is also great and only costs $1, so if you prefer to support him, that's fine too!\

For anyone wanting to learn more about Data Witness, please check out my guide located here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The android users in our home use Data Witness. Works great! Again, thanks @IWIK

For the 2 iPhone users in our home we find that My Data Manager works awesome. It can be set for custom cycle (30 or 90 days), and is free. You can also set a roaming plan on it. My wife and daughter were in Florida just last week. Before they left, I set up data tracking for roaming on their iPhones. When they landed in the US and turned their phones on, it tracked their data perfectly. I had purchased their US roaming add-ons for them while they were in the air, and My Data Manager worked perfectly from the time they touched down. Worth a look for you iPhone users.

GC

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Well I appreciate it appreciation, unfortunately I'm one of the poor souls that PM pushed out to koodo so I hardly get involved here anymore

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am that is awesome to see. I am using an app on the iPhone called DataMan. It is only off by about 50 MB which is normal, as the usage can delay some. It is a paid app but it is really worth it to me to have the piece of mind knowing that I can look it up easily on my phone. 

@jp2It usually appears around these days.    You will see a post about contributors from the public mobile employee when its done.  Sometimes sooner.

jp2

@will13am community rewards have already been awarded? I haven't seen a top contributors post yet?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I have very small amount of data compare to others because i don't use much. The data meter on the self-serve is where i check my usage and it is fairly accurate compare to stock android meter. People complaining about the self-serve meter is very rare and it is usually a phone/user side issue. I think it's fair to say that payment and data meter are the two known components that just works. 

jp2

I'm currently just using the stock android data meter in settings but it is very close to the PM meter as well. I actually got the warnings text just a couple minutes after the notification from settings came up. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I have never had any issues with the metering of data with PM either.  Data witness is 847 mb and account is 850, and my data witness maybe off by  a day as I have never really had any issues with running out of data

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Mine is out by about 100 mb, but that could easily be the difference between the update to the record on the website, compared to the Data Witness tally on my device.

Overview page shows 4763.811 mb, Data Witness shows 4873.233 bm.

Very accurate in my mind, with 33 days remaining on my current cycle.

Need Help? Let's chat.