cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card fraud

liahawkes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public Mobile # 855-xxxxxxx has been using my credit card. My credit card said to check with Public mobile to see what you know about this number. Coincidentally it googles as not only fraud but also a toll-free number to Public Mobile for a shortcut to Rep. As on web site https://bit.ly/3CzViRI  I have to get back to the credit card people some time.

Thank you for any info.

11 REPLIES 11

liahawkes

Oh thanks so much. So sorry for the confusion. I just didn't recognize the 855-4 number. That is autopayment coming off the credit card. So when I googled the 855-4 number it is actually reported as spam in a few instances. Nobody had the original phone #'s referenced so I didn't catch on quick enough. All good now, I'm pretty sure. Yes, I got relatives in BC and NB. Thanks again. What costs $11, I'm still checking a couple of dings, lol.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@liahawkes 

$12.65=$11+15%HST($1.65)=$12.65

$16.80=$15+12%(5%GST+7%PST=$1.80)=$16.80

$19.55=$17+15%HST($2.55)=$19.55

$26.45=$23+15%HST($3.45)=$26.45

Does that help? Does someone have a BC or a Manitoba phone number? And a phone number from the Atlantic provinces?

The number shown on the credit card side is not any customer number. Public doesn't offer toll free numbers. Log in to each account and look for payments made into each account and cross-reference those with your credit card and see which one is which.

Edit - So for us, we like pre-tax. That's $11 @ 15%, $15 @ 12%, $17 @ 15%, $23 @ 15%. Are all of your plans on the old rewards system?

liahawkes

So is 855-478-2542 a valid number? I do auto pay and never heard of 611/VR, but the amounts are all over the place

like !2:65, 16:80, 19:55, $26.45.  Is this just a form of auto pay?

liahawkes

I actually have 3 public mobile accounts, but this number is not one and it uses my card 4 x's a month for different dollars grouped together quite closely. Almost hidden unless you pay attention. I told my credit card and they said because I have public mobile that I should talk to public mobile. But that's not fair so I'm going to get back to them soon. I suspended my card for now.

liahawkes

I have my credit card so it must have been scanned somehow when I was out. But how could they use? Just for everyone's info. I do check my account from time to time, but it looks just like something I did, but I did not have that Public mobile phone # 855-478-2542 and they used it sparingly, like 4 hits each month with different dollars and cents

@dust2dust wrote:

I don't know why the agent chose to hide the number and url. Are you seeing that number on your credit card account? Do you have a family member using your card?

If you have no business here and you haven't let anybody else use your card then just get your bank to chargeback the charge. Only this charge unless you see other unauthorized charges.

Yes, it puzzles me too. Legitimate NOT private number appearing on every CC charge from PM

Meow_0-1665698651574.png

I believe ANY chargeback will put customer into bad faith with PM so as you said @dust2dust  is OP does not do business with PM then somebody is using his CC.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@liahawkes 

Have you made payments to your public mobile account using the "611/IVR" system access number 1 855 4PUBLIC (478 2542) using your credit card on file?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I don't know why the agent chose to hide the number and url. Are you seeing that number on your credit card account? Do you have a family member using your card?

If you have no business here and you haven't let anybody else use your card then just get your bank to chargeback the charge. Only this charge unless you see other unauthorized charges.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

That number is to access your PM account if you cannot use 611 plus you would need your pin to access features.

What do you mean 'number used your CC'?????

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sounds very much like a scam to me

Need Help? Let's chat.