cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating self-serve account without access to cell phone

pensema
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My mother is in a nursing home. I got her a flip phone in 2018, under my name, and have automatic payment from my credit card. Now I need to update the credit card information. For that I think that I need to create a self-serve account in Public Mobile.

The "Public Mobile - Account Log In" page says that I only need an email address and the Public Mobile phone number, both of which I have. But when I enter the phone number, it then asks me to enter the code sent to me in a text message. That code is being sent to the telephone, not to my e-mail.

I don't have access to the Internet at the nursing home, nor access to the phone when I'm at a place with Internet, and my mother knows nothing about text messages. How can I create an account? How can I get the code sent to my e-mail instead of to her phone? I don't want to leave her without a phone, in order to bring it home and use the Internet.

8 REPLIES 8

@pensema wrote:

Well, after posting on the community, after asking the chat bot for a moderator, and after contacting the moderator via e-mail, the only answer I got, basically, was "no can do" -- the only way to get a Public Mobile account is to be able to have the cell phone where you can connect to the Internet, because one needs to check the code from a text sent to the phone.

It's good to hear that you got a self serve account created.

Moderators can most definitely help to create a self serve account for you. They have to be able to do it because there are situations in which customers lose the sim card befeore getting home.

You don't need data on the phone to receive a text message. You do need an internet connection create or access the self serve account page, but that can be any internet connection.

pensema

Well, after posting on the community, after asking the chat bot for a moderator, and after contacting the moderator via e-mail, the only answer I got, basically, was "no can do" -- the only way to get a Public Mobile account is to be able to have the cell phone where you can connect to the Internet, because one needs to check the code from a text sent to the phone.

Fortunately, I found out that my mother's present nursing home has a computer with internet for the residents, so I managed to create an account there. This wouldn't have been possible at the nursing home that she was at one month prior.

My advice to others is: do not get Public Mobile for someone who does not have Internet.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

It looks like you will either have to bring internet with you ( if you can borrow a friend's phone or tablet) or Arrange with a staff member there to relay the info to you. I don't think they would agree if you just call in, but if you go there art the beginning of their shift to make sure that person is around by the time you get back. Also bring a little box of chocolates, they are sometimes very busy and they will appreciate

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@pensema  Is it possible to ask one of the staff to provide you with the code from her phone?

@pensema  wrote:

The phone was bought and activated atWall-Mart, and I don't think they created a self-serve account. I, myself didn't, and my mother didn't either.

In this case, you must create an account by verifying through a text message. The line must be active to do this. If the flip phone does not receive any text, you can put the sim in your phone to receive the code through a text. If your line is currentlyy suspended or not active, you must reach out to the mod team so they can create an account from their end. Start a conversation with Simon (chat bot) by clicking HERE to submit a ticket to the Moderator Team.

pensema

The phone was bought and activated at Wal-Mart, and I don't think they created a self-serve account. I, myself didn't, and my mother didn't either.

@pensema wrote:

My mother is in a nursing home. I got her a flip phone in 2018, under my name, and have automatic payment from my credit card. Now I need to update the credit card information. For that I think that I need to create a self-serve account in Public Mobile.

The "Public Mobile - Account Log In" page says that I only need an email address and the Public Mobile phone number, both of which I have. But when I enter the phone number, it then asks me to enter the code sent to me in a text message. That code is being sent to the telephone, not to my e-mail.

I don't have access to the Internet at the nursing home, nor access to the phone when I'm at a place with Internet, and my mother knows nothing about text messages. How can I create an account? How can I get the code sent to my e-mail instead of to her phone? I don't want to leave her without a phone, in order to bring it home and use the Internet.

This account was activated at a store?

The code cannot be forwarded to e-mail. The code is a security feature to ensure that the person creating the account is authorized to do so.

You'll either need to view the text message or open a ticket by going to https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ .  I fully realize that process will want you to log into the self serve account, but there are other account verification methods that can be used.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@pensema She should already have an account when you activated a line for her. If you activated at the store, then you have to create an account using text verification. So please verify if activation was done at home or at the store.

Need Help? Let's chat.