cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage in Inuvik, Northwest Territories

Crystal17
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, I am going to Inuvik next week and would like to make sure I can get cell reception there. The PM coverage map says it's covered, but it also says so for Alaska and I know my phone doesn't work in Alaska, so I don't really trust the coverage map now. There was coverage in Whitehorse, Yukon, but Inuvik is much smaller and remote.

Does anyone know if the PM coverage map is trustworthy within Canada? Or has anyone travelled to NWT and can testify about the coverage there? Much appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11

Crystal17

@Phil_Adelphus thank you so much for the clarification! that really explains things. I think my phone has the exact same issue as yours

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Crystal17  The older Huawei phones are typically not approved for VoLTE which you need for calls to work in Alaska because the US has no more 3G network.  That problem doesn't apply in Canada as we still have 3G here.   I have one that works fine in Canada but when it was on my previous carrier I got the notice that with the shutdown of 3G in the USA it would no longer work for roaming (even though the phone itself is capable and even had a VoLTE toggle).

@Crystal17  Well sounds promising if you where there in 2019 with virgin and it works as you know now PM and bell share towers . So if it was with same phone you have now I’d say your in luck with Alaska being US state , not Canada my gut feeling is your gonna be good to go 

Crystal17

yup tried everything I could. I think it's the Huawei issue indeed. Hopefully not a problem in Canada!

Crystal17

I was contacting the agent back then about Alaska issue. But wanted to ask here first before I try to contact them

Crystal17

thanks @hTideGnow. Should have clarified, yes I have US data and it still doesn't work as I'm in Alaska now. But the PM agent said it's because I'm using an older Huawei model which is not supported here.

I don't have friends there but I did go there in 2019 using Virgin Plus which worked - I believe they use Bell. But I didn't know Telus and Bell share the same towers

hi @Crystal17 you tried changing network mode to 4G and. manually connect to AT&Tmm

with Huewai issue with US government, it could be the reason why it is not working 

@Crystal17  and was the PM agent not able to confirm if your phone would work in the NWT ?

Crystal17

Thank you! I am in Alaska now and unfortunately it doesn't work for me. PM agent confirmed it's because I'm using an older Huawei model which is apparently not supported here? Anyway I just hope it works fine in NWT

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Crystal17  I can’t say from experience, but I’ve heard Alaska hadn’t worked from before and recently a few members have confirmed Alaska working now . So maybe 🤔 things are good as the coverage map shows these days . Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can chime in for clarity 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Crystal17 Alaska works only if you have US roaming or the Canada/US plan.  And Alaska used to not work well, but since PM starts getting AT&T as partner again, it works well

with Inuvik, Northwest Territories, do you have any friends there?? if they confirm Bell and Telus working well, the PM would work well as well as PM shares the same network tower with them 

Need Help? Let's chat.